herald 1500  with 3.63 diff?

mpbarrett

Anyone run a 1500 herald (ie spitfire engine) with O/D with a 3.63 diff instead of the normal 4.11 diff.
Just wondering what its like on motorways and whether it noticeable  kills the accerelation?
Mine is on a 4.11 and I have a 3.63 to fit but would be interested in other experince before I fit it. This wont happen until the GT6 is back with a working gearbox (long  saga....) or will be a rush job ready for the 10CR.

mike

I used to have a 1200 Herald with 4.1 diff which went very well but I hankered after something with less noise and lower engine revs at "high speed".  I now have a Vitesse with OD and 3.63 diff (ex 1500 Spitfire) and am well satisfied as I can now cruise quite happily at 70mph.
OK acceleration may suffer a little but I'm not a boy racer; more like an old boy who likes to be able to cruise comfortably when traffic allows!

• 3 weeks later...

Ran a 1500 Herald with a 3.89:1 and J type OD.  That worked pretty well but I always felt it could pull a taller gear.  Never got around to trying a 3.63 in that though.  Original 4.11 was much too low - rarely used first!

I'd be happy to try the 3.63.  You do know it'll mean changing UJ flanges don't you? (as would a 3.89)

Nick

• 10 months later...

Nick_Jones wrote:
  You do know it'll mean changing UJ flanges don't you? (as would a 3.89) Nick

I'm fitting my 1200 out with a spit 1500, j-type overdrive and spit diff. Will I need different drive shafts? How do I adapt the flanges?

Spell it out for me.  :P

If you have a late 4.11 diff with the larger internal shafts, then you can just swap them over with the output shafts of a 3.63 diff. Takes 20mins.
Otherwise you need to swap the flanges on your half shafts, may as well do they ujs at the same time.

So no, your shafts will be fine, just spoke faffing at the inboard end.

Got a TR6 engine bored to 2.7, cam mid head work, lightened flywheel, triple Dellorto DHLB's (yep not DHLA's) and headers, with Toyota W50 behind it. Figure that should do it :)

I have no idea of what sort of power it will put out, but it's got to be better than a 45 year old 2 liter on twin 150's.

Nick_Jones wrote:
That'll solve the 3.27 problem.  Most likely by busting it!  Unless you can manage substantial self-control in first and second gear!

Sounds like a fine plan otherwise!  :)

Nick

3.63 is the right diff for a 1500. As for the 2.7 motor on 3.27 have the recovery vehicle on speed dial.

Laurence