Freebird

Hi All

My wife's Volvo suffered clutch or gearbox failure on Saturday forcing me to use the Vitesse for work, so she could use my MR2 Mk1.

This morning 25 miles from home at about 65mph, the nose bearing in the Vitesse diff disintegrated making a god awful noise and resulting in a total loss of drive. I imaging the internals are now mulch.

There is a Mk1 diff on eBay - will this fit a Mk11 with Rotoflex?
Item 320086291429

How do I remove the Diff? Mr Haynes says I need two long bars to release the spring pressure - I guess he is right, but that needs the bars to be made up. Is there another method?

Any advice appreciated.

Glen.

Mk 1 (2L only) and Mk2 diffs are the same.  Both 3.89:1 with 6 stud rear case.
GT6 1, 2 and rotoflex 3 with OD are also the same.  GT6 without OD are 3.27:1.
Spitfire MkIV is also 3.89:1 but has a 4 std rear case which could be swapped for yours.
Spitfire 1500 has 3.63:1 with a 4 bolt casing and will also fit if you swap the rear case.  The 3.63 ratio is good in a Vitesse.

All of the above diffs have a round input flange.  Do not buy any that have a square input flange.  These will be 4.11 from Herald/Spit 1,2 &3/Vitesse 1600 and you don't want 'em.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Edit:  The ebay one should do the trick.

It is possible (if hazardous!) to change the diff without a spring lifter, but much, much easier with one.  A suitable metal tube and a couple of exhaust clamps will suffice but be careful!

3.89:1 can be fitted but:

1.  You will have to change the UJ flanges on the driveshafts and propshaft to match the larger flanges on the diff (UJs themselves are the same).

2.  Never tried this particular ratio with a 1200 engine.  Will slow acceleration through the gears a little and make cruising more relaxed.  My 1200 used to pull overdrive top ok with a 4.11.

Nick

You can easily make the spring lifter - I used a couple of ex-Army crowbars (apparently used for tank track refitting) cost me £10 at an army surplus store - and 4 "U" clamps - exhaust fittings really. Just be careful that when you jack it all up you support it properly, it's becomes a bit unstable otherwise and you don't want to underneath if it all turns turd like!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm gonna swap the Diff in the Vitesse this weekend - thanks for the replacement Steve.

I've been told than an easier way than supporting the spring and dismantling the shoxs and tie rods etc. is to put blocks of wood between the spring and the underbody and take the weight of the car under the hub uprights.

Apparently you just need to disconnect the driveshafts and prop, remove the diff to body fixings and it drops out.

Has anyone tried this?

Cheers

Glen.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have now changed the diff for one I bought from Mowerman - cheers again Steve.

Fitted new seals and driveshaft bearings and all seems well. It's certainly smoother than before and no leaks - yet!

I tried to do it without disturbing the spring, but there is not enough give in the Rotoflexes to move the driveshafts away from the diff flanges.

I lashed a couple of 1" diameter steel bars to the spring with nylon rope, one each end using a trolley jack and axle stands to compress it all. Not the safest way as the bars kept slipping off the spring. I would recommend borrowing or making pukka ones.

Back on the road and lovin' it!

Glen

Archived