Clutch replacement

Sideways Tim

I'm about to replace the clutch in the spit ('72 MKIV). I have a Borg and Beck kit, all the tools and manpower needed but just wanted to get any advise from those who have gone before to make it as easy as possible.

What tips and tricks have you to impart?
Anything else worth doing while the gearbox is off?

Many thanks!

p.s. just booked the ferry and accoms for Classic Le Mans 2012 - so there's a deadline ;)

cant think of any specific tips, its all as simple as it looks, if a bit unwieldy. change the oil unless you done it recently i guess. check the bolt at the bottom of the bellhousing going into the box has a copper washer on it to stop leaks. again if its dry, probably best to leave it. cut a door in the side of your tunnel so you can top the oil up from the inside only having to peel up a bit of carpet ? maybe the gear change bushes if you have a wobbly gearstick. change can be done without removing the seat, just push it back and put a heavy duty rag on it, like a bath towel  ;D i find taking the passenger side glovebox out is a lot more useful than taking the chair out.

Tim,
Not so much for the clutch work as for future, you might also want to cut an access panel for the slave cylinder into the tunnel. Alternatively a remote bleeder line could be installed at this time.
                                                                                   Cheers,
                                                                                   Paul

Well, the whole gearbox is dripping with oil, but it doesn't smell like EP90 - I'm guessing it's been coming out of the crankshaft seal for a while maybe. Doesn't seem to use much engine oil though. We'll see once the box is off.

The gearbox mounts need replacing - any recommendations?

Another 'what's this' - the pin sticking up?

and finally (for now), do you think the slave cyclinder needs a new seal?

:)

Tim,
Though I have done clutches by dropping only the front of the propshaft; I find it easier to do with the shaft out completely as you do get more room.
                                                                               Cheers,
                                                                               Paul

It's out! Dropped the exhaust and propshaft off (found a leak in the exhaust that I didn't know about too, so that was nice).
Thanks Paul, and specially Firebobby - jacked up the front of the 'box and it slid out nicely. All on my own too :)

Some issues though.

This is the clutch release pin, that it pivots around.

It's not actually connected at all!

Found out what was on the other end of the giggle pin!

Looks a little oily inside the bell housing, but the clutch itself is dry.

Time for a quick clean up of the exterior. I'm not doing anything to the 'box as it was behaving nicely before I took it off. New mounts, clutch, slave cylinder seals, make some windows for fluids and bleeding and we're good to go.

If anyone can see anything that looks awry, please shout :)

Cheers,

Tim.

Tim, good advise from Rumpith and Nang, also check the pivot pin that holds the release bearing arm in ( the one that's hanging out) and make sure it's not bent. On a diagram of this area, there is also a Tolerance ring shown,this sits inside the arm. The pivot pin goes through the ring and located back into the bottom of the housing casement.
That pin should not have been sat out like that :-/

I'd check the state of the front gearbox oil seal - if oil leaks into the bellhousing it could get on the clutch and cause judder. Worth checking where your oil leak has come from and curing if poss as you don't want oil on that nice new clutch. I had an oil leak that caused some unpleasant judder and the clutch plate was dry, though slightly blackened, I'm guessing from the oil getting burnt off.

Archived