Clutch replacement

Sideways Tim

It's all apart now. Crankshaft oil seal is lovely and dry. I'll be re-gasketing the box to bell housing, but the clutch plate was just down to the rivets. Perfect timing I think.
Refurbed the master cylinder today, it's all going to be lovely when it goes back in :)

New spigot bush, clutch pedal pivots and box mounts and it'll be good as new :)

Note that some of the bell->gearbox bolts go through to the oil and should have copper washers on.  Will leak if not fitted.

You can use a long bolt instead of that silly pivot pin (5/16" UNF IIRC). The unthreaded part needs to be long enough to go most of the way through and sit in the bushes.  Then the little monkey can't fall out at an inopportune moment......

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

You can use a long bolt instead of that silly pivot pin (5/16" UNF IIRC). The unthreaded part needs to be long enough to go most of the way through and sit in the bushes.  Then the little monkey can't fall out at an inopportune moment......

The bolt solution is, at best, a get you home measure.  
You should really replace the following parts:
129410 - Pivot Pin
129412 - Tolerance ring
129358 - Bronze bush  (x 2)

When I got my Spitfire it had a bolt through the release arm pivot and very poor clutch adjustment.  The biting point was almost on the floor, mainly due to lost motion in the worn clutch components.  Fitting the part listed above and a new clevis pin at the pedal/master cylinder resulted in a significantly improved clutch feel.

Canleys do a modified pivot pin design which includes a circlip to stop it falling out when the bushes and tolerance ring get worn.

While you've got everything apart, for the sake of £10 or so, I'd prefer to fit the correct parts.

I've replaced the temperance ring, the bushes and the pin weren't worn at all (makes me wonder if during a past release bearing replacement, the pin was forgotten about?) All is nice and snug now, so I'm happy it'll give a few years of service at least.

The paint is quite a loud shade, it'll certainly brighten someones day when they're underneath :)

[center][/center]An important and oft missed tip is that the first bolt you should nip up between the bell housing and the backplate is the special Dowel bolt - which goes in the hole at the bottom on the offside.

This ensures alignment is perfect and helps prevent the centre of the driven plate separating after a few thousand miles.

I've thrown this tip into many clutch tip discussions and it rarely generates a response - does everyone just know this already (I didn't but luckily Chic Doig gave me a well timed lecture when I was buying the bits)  ;D

bodders1 wrote:

The bolt solution is, at best, a get you home measure.  
You should really replace the following parts:
129410 - Pivot Pin
129412 - Tolerance ring
129358 - Bronze bush  (x 2)

When I got my Spitfire it had a bolt through the release arm pivot and very poor clutch adjustment.  The biting point was almost on the floor, mainly due to lost motion in the worn clutch components.  Fitting the part listed above and a new clevis pin at the pedal/master cylinder resulted in a significantly improved clutch feel.

Canleys do a modified pivot pin design which includes a circlip to stop it falling out when the bushes and tolerance ring get worn.

While you've got everything apart, for the sake of £10 or so, I'd prefer to fit the correct parts.

This sounds like my clutch. Possibly 1/3 of travel does nothing then seems to activate the clutch with it biting near the floor. Must have a look but don't fancy stripping all the tunnel out again. Can check clevis pins though.

Doug_P wrote:
[center] [/center] An important and oft missed tip is that the first bolt you should nip up between the bell housing and the backplate is the special Dowel bolt - which goes in the hole at the bottom on the offside.

This ensures alignment is perfect and helps prevent the centre of the driven plate separating after a few thousand miles.

I've thrown this tip into many clutch tip discussions and it rarely generates a response - does everyone just know this already (I didn't but luckily Chic Doig gave me a well timed lecture when I was buying the bits)  ;D

Thanks Doug - I'll kep an eye on that.

Tim.

2356 wrote:
Well, the clean and refurb has ended - time to re-install.

Ooo - shiny :-)
Do you fancy doing mine as well?
It is leaking oil from the front of the gearbox.  Either the mainshaft seal has failed, or I didn't put the copper washer(s) in the right places when I put it back together 10 years ago.

Right then. New clutch in, gearbox back on, all went smoothly once I jacked the engine up a bit, dowel bolt in first, then worked my way around the bell housing, however I couldn't find a torque spec for the bell housing to back plate bolts in the Haynes manual.

Anybody know what it is?

Thanks.

Archived