Overdrive virgin

Bwhitmee

Hi,

Glang, advocating dipping the clutch is wrong on a Spitfire or GT6. If I followed your advice I doubt I would still be using an O/D. Sorry.

O/D on a GT6 is not so good as O/D 3rd = 4th.
GL5 for manual transmission is preferred.
I prefer O/D selection on gearstick for faster changes. Additional on steering wheel sounds a bonus.

Cheers,
Iain

PS. Good to see site speed is back.

On 09/12/2021 at 14:19, Jason C said:

That’s pretty incredible, you guys were like a Triumph production factory in your own right. 🔥

Where did you source that amount of gearbox’s - did owners always swap?

Every conversion had a refundable surcharge against return on the none overdrive box. Also we used to get regular visits from all the local scrappers with pickup's full of core. We would pay approximately double what the yards would pay so it kept them coming. We couldn't be choosy though as we didn't want to annoy them, so we ended up with all sorts, including lots of Volvo, Rootes group, MG (wash your mouth out), and even the odd Jag overdrive box.

23 hours ago, Slimboyfat said:

Every conversion had a refundable surcharge against return on the none overdrive box. Also we used to get regular visits from all the local scrappers with pickup's full of core. We would pay approximately double what the yards would pay so it kept them coming. We couldn't be choosy though as we didn't want to annoy them, so we ended up with all sorts, including lots of Volvo, Rootes group, MG (wash your mouth out), and even the odd Jag overdrive box.

Nice, good business model! Keeps more cars on the road, rather than good parts heading to the scrap yard. Win, win for everybody. 

On 20/12/2021 at 14:52, glang said:

Also, a minor point, but isnt the OD hydraulic oil pump driven by the gearbox output shaft so pressing clutch, certainly when engaging OD, can momentarily deprive it of power?

Nah don't think that's an issue, as long as the wheels are turning above about 25mph the output shaft is spinning plenty fast enough to engage the pump (for my OD anyway). Dipping the clutch would have negligible effect on the power input to the pump.

My opinion on the clutch has changed recently, having done about 3500 miles with my Spitfire's new gearbox and D-type overdrive. I now dip the clutch when disengaging OD, unless accelerating. Otherwise it gives a right old jolt when you switch it out, which is possibly harmless but makes me wince for the amount of time and cash spent on the rebuild. Not an issue when accelerating though.

When I had OD in an MGB GT I never used the clutch at all and it felt fine. So I'd say it's down to driver preference and the car / OD behaviour. 

4 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Nah don't think that's an issue, as long as the wheels are turning above about 25mph the output shaft is spinning plenty fast enough to engage the pump (for my OD anyway). Dipping the clutch would have negligible effect on the power input to the pump.

Youre probably right but I was thinking the unidirectional clutch of the OD wont drive the gearbox output shaft from the back wheels during OD engagement.

As its specific purpose is apparently to allow power to continue to be transmitted while the OD changes position and I wonder if a poorly working one would allow the engine revs to rise under power so giving a heavy jolt...

On 21/12/2021 at 21:41, Spitfire6 said:

Hi,

Glang, advocating dipping the clutch is wrong on a Spitfire or GT6. If I followed your advice I doubt I would still be using an O/D. Sorry.

O/D on a GT6 is not so good as O/D 3rd = 4th.
GL5 for manual transmission is preferred.
I prefer O/D selection on gearstick for faster changes. Additional on steering wheel sounds a bonus.

Cheers,
Iain

PS. Good to see site speed is back.

Apologies Glang.

Meant Nang!