STEERING WHEEL SIZE?

Chunky020

Are there different triumph standard fit steering wheels fitted to Vitesse's?or where they all 15", mine has a 13"Monteray wheel fitted and that dosn't give masses of leg room under the steering wheel, mind you the diaphragms on the seats are gone and the previous owner has slung in some ply under them one of his better dodges (plenty on the car!). looking to go back to the 3 legged sprung type originally fitted to a 64 1600

If you're having legroom problems your wheel is probably set too close to the dash for you, try moving the wheel out a bit.....the steering column has a good few inches of fore-aft adjustment, and moving it out makes a huge difference. I'm 6'2" and my Vitesse  came with a 13" wheel tight up against the dash which made it extraordinarily awkward to get in and out of....., a bit of spanner time on the column bracket under the dash and what the manual calls the impact clamp, moved the wheel a few inches out, and there's easily loads of room 8)

So sure I'd bet my sweet pippy on it!

Sadly I am old enough to remember these cars when they were new and must've pissed off the salesmen at my local Triumph dealer when I was a boy!  I'm sure I'm sure!  so sure I checked pictures of a car in a contemporary road test.  

I knew I was right!  Do you have a sprung spoke wheel then, I can supply you with a mint two spoker if you want to have a deal....

Mark

Yes, I'm not quite old enough to remember the Cars new, but Mark is correct about the steering Wheel.

All Vitesse '6' Models from 62-66 had the Herald 1200 Style 2 Spoke wheel, the 3 Spoke Steel Sprung, Leather covered TR4 Style wheel was introduced for the 2 Litre Models in late 1966.

yep hadn't done my homework again I had seen 3 spokes fitted to 1600's and thought they where standard fit. Spider that was the one I retracted my bid from after seeing Marks Comment (thanks Mark!)

would need the wheel/ horn push/ horn pencil/ slip ring etc well the whole steering wheel assembly !, on the trail of one not to far from me so can pick it up if he gets back to me!, i'm near Southampton, what sort of money you after Mark?

Just want to bump this one...
My current factory wheel on my 1360 is cracked so want to swap to a sporty wheel. Currently i have to slip my thighs under the wheel so will try adjusting the colum towards me. Whats the preferred size people go for on upgrades... 13" or 14" ... Thing is i have found a local supplier here in NEW ZEALAND that sells 14" mountneys just hoping that would be an improvement on leg room ? Or most go for 13"?

Thanks heaps for any thoughts

I'm 6' 4" and I can cope on a 14", but prefer to use a 13" wheel, and yes I have moved my steering column as far back as it will go, and yes it does give a lot more room. I also have MGF seats in my car. They are a lot more comfortable than the original Triumph seats. I use a dished wheel, not a flat one.

I currently have a Les Leston (also 14" and s/d).  I think I have had Mountney in the past, Nothing really wrong with it but it didn't have the class (or the price) of a Moto-Lita.
Had various steering wheels, various cars,
Currently, the top of the column is 7" from the clamp.  Rim is 6" away from the top of the (uncompressed) seat top.
My 6' 4"  son has been happy driving a variety of small chassis cars.

C.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Casper,
Despite me trying to figure this out im a bit stumped??
I have the horn push cap and the boss has no hole for the plastic horn commector orig to make contact with the brass ring?
Do you mind giving me a bit more detail?

Or if anyone has hooked a mountney wheel and used the centre horn push?

The boss I had already had a hole for the pencil.  You could drill one yourself, but might have to be accurate as to where you place it.
The horn push was held together by three plastic prongs.  Once detatched, I removed the wire by removing the rivet from the base of the horn push. and added a strip of brass using the same rivet hole and a small nut and bolt (could use pop rivet).  Brass strip contacts top of horn pencil in the usual way.
I hope that helps.

Frankly, I think it's a bit off to sell an item as fitting a herald/Spit when it needs a lot of modification.

C.