Anti Roll Bar/Drop links

dave mc

I attempted to fix the anti roll bar to the Vitesse this weekend, but when I came to put the drop links on each end, they were too big and there was play between the roll bar and the ferrel around the bush.

Has there been a dodgy batch of drop links knocking about? It was less than a millimetre play but I would imagine that they need to be a very snug fit to do their job properly. I had left the original ferrel on from when I burnt the old drop link bushes off and that was a very good fit.

Any ideas anyone?

Afraid that drop links are yet another example of badly made repro parts.  I purchased new ones to fit during my restoration but cleaned and refitted the old ones as I had the same problem. I personally think that we should start a new thread on this forum listing all of the substandard parts that are out there. I certainly have quite a long list, the worst that I had was a steering column joint that was dangerous after 6 months!  I would rather pay a bit more for an original quality part.

1341 wrote:
Afraid that drop links are yet another example of badly made repro parts.  I purchased new ones to fit during my restoration but cleaned and refitted the old ones as I had the same problem. I personally think that we should start a new thread on this forum listing all of the substandard parts that are out there. I certainly have quite a long list, the worst that I had was a steering column joint that was dangerous after 6 months!  I would rather pay a bit more for an original quality part.

I second that, some are just plain rubbish.

They are rubber ones. I contacted the supplier who said he had someone else with the problem last week. I asked what he could do for me bearing in mind I bought mine exactly one year ago and I still had the invoice/receipt.

He said that would have been 3 batches ago and as he only had the same now he couldn't help! Considering I have spent a few hundred pounds to him over the last two years I was less than impressed.

I shall be calling him again at the weekend for a credit at least and if that is not forthcoming I shall never use him again and the rest of my restoration will be from parts elsewhere.

It really gets me down when you're all geared up for making some progress and then you come across crap parts knocked out by someone who doesn't give a fig about the consequences. :(

2191 wrote:

I shall be calling him again at the weekend for a credit at least and if that is not forthcoming I shall never use him again and the rest of my restoration will be from parts elsewhere.

It really gets me down when you're all geared up for making some progress and then you come across crap parts knocked out by someone who doesn't give a fig about the consequences. :(

The problem you have there is that most places get their parts from the same places...

Years ago my drop links failed and knowing modern parts were shite and them being more expensive than I realised I took the ARB off. Made it all a lot better but I had already played with other aspects of the suspension and it was a thought out process rather than "let's whip it off and see". Not sure how it'd perform on a standard car. The Courier didn't have one, but had firmer springs back and front.

Quick update - credit agreed. I bought them on 24/1/12 so should have done the job quicker!! Just need to decide what else I want now and where I get my drop links from. Don't fancy paying £45 for the ones listed above but may have no choice. I'll give Canleys and Rimmers a call to see if they've had any issues.