Alex

piman wrote:
I believe (or is it a myth?) that when Triumph changed from inertia to pre engaged starter that they didn't turn the ring gear around so that the chamfer on the teeth were facing the right way for the pre engaged starter. As the pre engaged starter pinion pushes into the ring gear it tends to drive it off.

Well back in 1992 I found out that the starter ring had been put on the wrong way. As the car was a low mileage with the original clutch it must have been wrongly fitted at the factory. I managed to get it off and get it on again - hey presto a good as new starter ring!

Dion

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the rings back in place and the box refitted just need to fit some more bell housing bolts the starter,the prop,the exhaust and speedo cable.
My ring gear appears to be the wrong way round however it'll do until I refit my other engine.

Fingers crossed it'll all be ok :-/

The box was a bitch on my own but I managed it all on my tod so I'm feeling a bit pleased with myself......as long as it does work.

What did you do in the end? Bash it, glue it or weld it?

Good on you Alex, you really have worked your nads off on this car...............I tip my hat to you Sir. Looking forward to chasing you on the RBRR.......!

I must get on with my engine (its in pieces............!!) Final parts arrived this morning....... Rings, so I can start assembly if it even stops flippin' raining!!

I bashed and glued it!

Ended up putting the box back on in the rain, obviously didnt get to wet as I was under the car but I can certainly tell all the drain holes are clear ;)

Does seem to have been an ongoing battle but I guess thats what comes of taking on a car thats been off the road so long.

I realise this is far too late to save Alex the pleasure of lying under his saloon for hours - but just in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar predicament, I once kept my 2500S going for months by fitting an inertia starter from a Herald.  The chamfers were the right way round for a change and with the ring gear displaced so much it was a perfect fit!  In fact, the inertia starter might well push the ring gear back so you could go on forever just sapping starter motors  ;D

Alec,

I used the bearing fit loctite.

I did debate turning the ring around but decided that as it was I could just knock it back into place,where as if I removed it to turn it around I may not have been able to get it back on.
I'm thinking its been like it long enough a bit longer shouldnt hurt......

Cheers,
Alex

All done....
Well I took it up the road and back selecting all the gears etc so I dont appear to have broken anything.

Thought I'd check it was selecting gears last night and after doing up the front bellhousing top nuts I bolted it up.Today I realised I'd trapped the gear lever between the floor and box.
So I took the knob off and dropped it out through the bottom.Took longer to do than to write about it :)

Tommorrow I'll give it a run and check the O/d is working.

Cheers Alex

Today started better for me, it's sunny so the waxoil has come out and I've done the front already - headlight sand sidelights out, pumped a couple of litres of thinned waxoil in the front end - amazing where the wax mist comes out! Now to move onto the door panels and replace those mismatched locks, may as well kill 2 birds with one stone whilst teh trim panels are off.

Did a few jobs on the 2.5 today:
Fitted the spare alternator.
Fitted a new fan switch.

Not driven the GT6 much over the last couple of months, so I have decided to get up early tomorrow morn and go for a nice drive out, might go to the coast?

Great that Alex has got his 2000 going well. Brilliant, think it sums up Alex's thoughts and dedication to the RBRR. This makes organising the event so worthwhile!

Archived