Spitfire 1500 cam change

Martin M

Hi,
only wanted to change the head against an unleaded one I had on the shelf, I just  checked the cam followers as. Massive pitting 🙁 on half of them. Unfortunately the cam (standard one) shows pitting as well.
So do I have to take the engine out or is it possible to change the cam from the front?
Rest of the engine has 15.000 miles on it, so no need to rebore, ...
Any experiences?
Cheers
Martin

I had good result wid a Piper HR 270 as it wer then, noo BP i think, a wee bit diff
butt basicly same cam,

duration aboot same as a 25/65 but moer lift,45 thou moer
think its 24 64 64 24, 280 cam lift

exhaust is same as inlet closing, so should be as good as the OE camIE nee bigg drop around 25-35 thou, as seems to happpen wid most cams that ev advanced
ex valve opening like the Kent offereings

http://www.pipercams.co.uk/pipercams/www/product.php?pid=TRBP270

M

If you are happy and confident with the rest of the bottom end, then take the cam out the front. Bonnet is easily removed, and whip the radiator out as well, should be nice access.

I'm with Marcus here, pep it up with a snazzier cam whilst you are at it!! MkIII spitty cam is also pretty good for the 1500 and keeps it Triumph, and has the advantage of being a common upgrade so plenty people around to assist.

Cheers,

Phil

yes, thinking about a cam change. Canley still offers the Spit MK3 cam on large journal. Piper a consideration worth as well.
Piper available on small journal, so I could (if I take the engine out) install cam bearings.
I think taking out the engine is worth doing. Sealing everything new after 12 years of trouble free operation should be well deserved by the engine.

Quoted from Martin M
yes, thinking about a cam change. Canley still offers the Spit MK3 cam on large journal. Piper a consideration worth as well.
Piper available on small journal, so I could (if I take the engine out) install cam bearings.
I think taking out the engine is worth doing. Sealing everything new after 12 years of trouble free operation should be well deserved by the engine.

Very wise and talk to ;
Newman Cams

• 2 weeks later...

it all began 2002 with purchasing a Spit 1500. From what was anticipated as an easy job just putting it on the road again it developed to a total resto iob (I threw the Body and Chassis away as it was  badly deformed in an accident, whereas the outer Body looked o.k. The Body was extensively and good  welded but on a damaged chassis). I should have seen that but was blinded and trusted the seller. 2004 it was on the road again and performed faultlessly until today.

GT6 was purchased 2004 as I was hooked again in cars. But resto began later.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Yes there is someone who has done exactly the same as you, but I can't remember his name or forum tag.  Try searching the forum for Mk3 camshaft 1500 or something similar.

I reckon you need AAQ and yellow springs at a minimum.  Have you tried pulling the choke out when it splutters above 3000rpm?  That would give you an indication as to whether it needs to be richer or not.

As I remember the standard ABT is really quite lean and almost any engine modification will make them too lean.  Seems like the needle range you have up there is familiar but I can't remember now which I used.  Might be some clues in the TT book - just have to find it.....

Nick

• 1 month later...

some running Report
Engine runs very nicely with the ABT needles and thicker (engine) oil in the dashpots. Pulls strong from low revs and happy to go until 4500. Beyond still reving further but with less "agility". So the cam is definitely a recommendation for the 1500 engine from my side.
Plug colour a bit on the lean side, so plan is to go for an AAT or AAQ  needle.
Defenitely the exhaust note got sportier.

Martin

On my Spitfire 1500 fitted with the 65/25 cam and Phoenix exhaust manifold, I have been experimenting with needle and spring combinations. From ABT I went to AAT, and then AAQ with the original red spring. On the rolling road with the AAQ and yellow spring it was still a tad rich between 1200 and 2500rpm, so I have gone back to AAT with yellow spring and it has cured the mid-range richness. Still with standard air filters and Zenith 20 SAE oil in the dashpots, but it is purring like a kitten at the moment! Stiill work in progress though 😎

That's good news Martin, and also encouraging for me too.  I'm very slowly rebuilding a 1500 with Mk3 grind cam, big-valve head, big airbox, mappable ignition, etc and plan to start with AAQs and see where I need to go from there.  I'd be interested to see how you get on with AAT and AAQ.