Stripped Sump Bolt

Nick Jackson (2)

I have a small oil leak which I've traced to one sump bolt which won't tighten up, therefore I assume the threads been stripped in the past.  To fix, I assume is a question of draining the oil, removing the sump and inserting a helicoil insert in the sump hole? Can I get these from any motor factor and, if so, what size do I ask for?  

It's not a large leak but if possible I want to get it done before the RBRR.

Thanks

Nick J.

Nick could you not just helicoil it in position?
As I understand it the bolts just pull the sump up tight against the block so therefore if the bolts doing nothing at present taking it out will do no harm?
To helicoil you'll need the right drill bit as well as they are not standard sizes..... could you run a metric tap in, and the correct metric bolt?

If I'm talking rubbish just say :-/

I wouldn't know if you're talking rubbish Alex as I don't know what a helicoil insert is anyway!!  My mate old me that's what I need to do then he disappeared into the sunset.  All I know is that there's muckly black stuff dribbling around the big metal thingy that's spinning round and round.   ;D

I'll read up on the subject and see what I find out. I can't imagine it's that difficult.

Nick J.

A helicoil looks like a spring.
You tap the hole out with the correct tap,then you can wind in the helicoil.Theres a little tang on it that allows you to wind it in that you then snap off,you then just put your bolt in as normal.
One bolt will be expensive to do but the time you've purchased a tap,helicoil and the drill bit although its quite simple to do.

I've never used a helicoil but I know they normally come in a kit that includes the drill bit.

They had some at work recently, I remember them saying that they are quite expensive.

It may be better to just drill and tap the next size up. Be it metric or imperial.

You are looking at circa £25 for a kit + the drill bit. This will include 10 inserts (you can buy more separately).

At a guess it is one of the front or back 3 bolts that go into either the front aluminium spacer or the back aluminium oil seal adapter. These should have been UNC not 5/16'' UNF. Presumably the design engineers were more concerned about mechanics having only one type of bolt for securing the sump.

Could be tricky trying do do this in situ. Put some sealant in and leave till after RBRR?

97679 wrote:
It's one at the back of the sump.

Which is also into an aluminium block  :'(

Quote:
It's simplest to drill out and tap to the next size up rather than helicoil it isn't it?

It will be difficult to helicoil OR drill & tap bigger - it's very close to the engine backplate so getting in close and at right angles will be difficult.

Quote:
It's not the sort of thing that's likely to cause a failure on the RBRR and serious oil loss is it?  I would have thought it's more a constant drip that is pretty stable.

Personally, I'd leave it alone and take an extra bottle of oil.

Archived