Mr Elsie

Does anybody know whether the side pieces that surround the core and hold the brackets, are  just glued at the top and bottom. one of mine is loose and it does look like some kind of gluey hardened stuff underneath.

IVe just taken the rad out for a clean up and aLso noticed that the fins were all bent over like a closed Venetian blind on the front side.. Would this be contributing to my hot running?

They are all now straight-ish but could do with a cost of paint as the copper is showing through.  Any particular paint or just standard high tEmp stuff

3815 wrote:
Does anybody know whether the side pieces that surround the core and hold the brackets, are  just glued at the top and bottom. one of mine is loose and it does look like some kind of gluey hardened stuff underneath.

IVe just taken the rad out for a clean up and aLso noticed that the fins were all bent over like a closed Venetian blind on the front side.. Would this be contributing to my hot running?

They are all now straight-ish but could do with a cost of paint as the copper is showing through.  Any particular paint or just standard high tEmp stuff

Hi,
i used hi temp paint .. i've not tested my rad yet because my car is still on a rebuild; but looks nice  ;)

Kind regards Wim

Mr.Elsie,
The sides are soldered on if it is an original radiator.
A significant proportion of the fins bent shut will certainly contribute to hot running.
It is better to use paint intended for radiators than normal high temp paint.  Radiator paint is better for heat transfer, and it goes on in a thinner film which leaves room for more airflow. It will, however, be much harder to find.
                                                                       Cheers,
                                                                       Paul

3815 wrote:

Yes.   The air has to pass through the matrix in order for it to function as a heat exchanger.

As drofgum says, the radiator assembly should be soldered (or braised) together.  The glue-substance you have found sounds like an attempted [s]bodge[/s] repair be a previous owner.
Coupled with the damaged fins, I think you should budget to get your radiator re-cored, or invest in a new full-width one from Canleys.

Another contributory factor to overheating Spitfires are the cardboard side-valences (or, more accurately, the lack of them).  These sit either side in front of the radiator and direct air through the radiator rather than around the sides.  I've lost count of the number of Spitfires I've seen on eBay with these valences missing.

Thanks for the comments but I've got gt6 and as far as I'm aware there isn't a wide one as there is for the spitfire.  I was going to use stove and BBQ paint that you can get from DIY places tidy up he sides And to put a thin coat on the exposed metal fins unless someone shouts up not to use this. It says it's heAt resistant upto 650.

And I've just taken delivery of a new metal valance to cover the rad so that will also be going on.