Vitesse radiator removal

flying_fox

Rad definitely comes out without removing side panels on my car.  Engine fan is now gone but it did even when I still had one.

May depend a bit on what fan is fitted.  Some of the saloon ones are bigger and sometimes end up on Vitesses.  Not sure how much removing side valances would help as there is also a chassis rail close by down there.

Nick

I used to have the metal blade fan  on my Vitesse 6 and the radiator came out no problem. Last year though after a head rebuild, I decided to change mine to a lighter plastic fan with more blades: http://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=308353SH

Problem I had was getting the radiator back in and consequently out after fitting this plastic fan. It is tight, but do-able, you just need to maneuver rad and fan somewhat and I think a little flexing of the fan blades will do it. I found initially fitting the rad it suddenly went in past the blades, but wouldn't then come back out without some manipulation!  

As you said and for me too, it's that bottom rad hose connection that's the killer

Try Turning the Engine over with the Fan as you pull up and remove the radiator.

The Bottom hose spout will fit in the gap between adjacent blades as you rotate the fan, you can then move the radiator up and out?

Hope that makes sense?

garyf wrote:
Try Turning the Engine over with the Fan as you pull up and remove the radiator.

The Bottom hose spout will fit in the gap between adjacent blades as you rotate the fan, you can then move the radiator up and out?

Hope that makes sense?

That's how I do it as well.

Thank you all, I too had decided to free the fan it is the plastic version and see if that's the trick
To bore you all this all started as at the MOT it was suggested that perhaps the rad bottom tank looked suspect, so wife says change it!
After its out it will go to Exeter Radiators and if its actually checked ok etc I will offer it for sale.
I still have to manage flushing the block, without I hope "popping core plugs"
Thanks again