Overdrive doesn't work when warm.

FloydP

Hi all. as the thread suggests the overdrive conversion on the GT6 that all went really well, had a longer test drive today, it was fine for the first 5 miles then took a long while to engage, then a mile or so later wouldn't engage at all.
It's a D type and the electrics all seem fine, the OD is switched thru a toggle switch not the gear knob so shouldn't be anything untoward there.
I'm kind of hoping it just needs the oil topping up, what do we reckon, is that wishful thinking or is it likely to be something more serious?
Thanks,
Floyd.

if level is ok , can you check the solenoid current the d type takes 10amps for a couple of seconds to pull in then a switch inside the sol. cuts  in a secondary coil and holds in at 0.5 amps.  there after.

take off the side plate and energise the sol.  the operating lever has a 3/16" hole in , this must align with a hole in the case, use a 3/16" drill as a alignment rod.   its adjusted by changing the threaded nut position

Pete

Hopefully found the problem, the Solenoid adjusting screw (the one that screws into the casting) is completely missing, must have vibrated loose. So hopefully I'll be able to get a replacement before the RBRR.
I don't suppose anyone has an old `d' type overdrive that they're not using and would be prepared to lend me the screw until I get another.
The usual suspects don't have one so I've e-mailed Mick Dolphin in the hope he has one but just in case he hasn't.
Cheers,
Floyd.

Archived