Ginetta G15 Restoration

John Bonnett

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from Nick Jones
 🤔 Best buy a big bottle of T-cut.......

Surprising what there still is left out there.  A neighbour has some sort of Austin 7 tourer though it doesn't get out much.

Nick

When I expressed my concern about how I was going to collect it, the same friend suggested a large bucket and shovel 😀

Right, back to the matter in hand; the G15.

I think I've won the battle with the steering joints so I've been able to clamp the column in its final position. The column itself is a hybrid;lower part Imp and the top part 1500 Spitfire. This gives the benefit of the column mounted switches. The dashboard has been offered up and fits quite nicely to the column cowling.

Fitting the pedal box was fairly awkward because the fixings are a bit difficult to access. The rotisserie once again came to the rescue allowing the washers to be dropped on and stay where they we put while the nut was started. To stop the screws dropping out, I held them in position using a couple of rare earth magnets. It was a time consuming business but all the fixings are now tight and another job ticked off.

Quoted from TOG
hello John great to see progress being made, can I ask has your dashboard been modified speedo and rev counter look different to mine.Will pm you in next couple of weeks  TOG

The risk of accidentally  damaging the paint is quite a worry Nick but I try to put that to the back of my mind.

The instruments with the exception of the tacho which is BMW K1200 are new Smiths Eclipse purchased from Speedy Cables.

Although I had checked the circuits on the bench, it was a great relief to find that with the dashboard wiring reconnected to the distribution board the circuits including the two speed wiper with self-parking all worked. I've paid particular attention to gathering in all the earths to fixed studs and running back to the battery. The main loom to the rear of the car is already made up and ready to go in. Photos to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Soldering needs three hands and generally I'm able to hold the iron in a vice whilst operating pliers and solder. In this particular case the vice wasn't possible but I suddenly remembered the clamping system I made a few years ago to hold a panel while planishing. It worked a treat.

The second photo shows a saddle for a cable tie. I've been using these for some time now and find them really convenient for holding the loom or pipes. The saddle is either screwed or rivetted down but whatever is being clamped can be detached by simply snipping the cable tie.

Quoted from John Bonnett
ps

I've just bought a new car. A close friend assured me that all the blemishes will polish out so I had no hesitation with getting it I've no idea why its upside down

Shipping from Oz is going to be expensive isn't it?

Cracking progress on the Ginetta it's going to be a brilliant little thing when it's (very shortly!) finished. Must remember all of these little tips like hybrid columns to keep switchgear and things. Must have two or three spare Spitfire columns lying around...

• 5 months later...

Hi Hazen,

John has given up posting on this forum unfortunately, though work on the car continues.

There is some more up to date info here (though nothing since late May)

https://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=211756&page=2

including a running/driving video. 

I saw John (and the car) in early June and it was progressing well.  Going to be lovely when finished.

Nick