Ginetta G15 Restoration

John Bonnett

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from roger.england
You'll be camping out in the workshop now then John!

Indeed I will Roger. All very exciting.  Did a dry run of the components tonight and everything fits together absolutely perfectly; a refreshing change from some of the after-market stuff with which we are so familiar.

Clearly the dash needs quite a bit of remedial work but having got the instruments I felt a need to fit them and see what they look like in place. It's a shame that the needle on the bike tacho doesn't match the others but it was the cheapest and simplest option to take that route and be sure it would work with the dual coil pack. The aluminium panel will be matt black to match the rest of the dash.

• 2 months later...

Nice to see another resto taking place! I found this post via looking at g15 pics on google so had to join to say great work, looking forward to seeing it in paint!

I own a green one which I restored around 5/6 years ago. Great little cars

Quoted from chrisimp
Nice to see another resto taking place! I found this post via looking at g15 pics on google so had to join to say great work, looking forward to seeing it in paint!

I own a green one which I restored around 5/6 years ago. Great little cars

I've been tied up with other commitments for the last month or two but next week I hope to get back on the G15 and make some progress.

As far as the colour is concerned I haven't made my mind up yet except that it will be a bright colour.

Quoted from timbancroft61
Used to be a bloke who hillclimbed an orange G15 at Gurston, Andrew ????, it was some car.

The events also featured Nic Mann and his gorgeous Morris Minor with a Rover V8 turbo, that car was something.

John, your car is going to be some machine.

I wish I had your confidence Tim 🙂

I'm back on it now, rarin to go after the holiday in France. I did say that I would put it together and try it with the current 4 degrees of caster but I've decided to sort it out now and adjust it to as near the 6 degree factory figure that I can. Unlike the Triumph, caster is set by kicking up the front longitudinal chassis tubes which to my mind is a point of weakness. So the plan is to use the workshop floor as a jig and bolt the chassis down to it level in both directions. I shall then cut the chassis tubes part the way through and jack the front up to the required angle. Bolt that down and then weld it. Distortion and spring back are the main concerns but I'm hoping the end result will be a lot closer than it is now. Photos to come as progress is made.

I cannot proceed knowing that the caster angle is four degrees when it should be six. This could make all the difference between a good drive and a nightmare. So, I've spent a bit of time on it today and we're well on the way to getting it right. A couple of photos attached. Just got to weld it up now and fingers crossed nothing moves when the clamps are released.

Quoted from RedRooster
Good progress John, had a feeling that the gaps may end up bigger after welding, can't say why just a hunch you know how it is sometimes.

That is the big problem Brad as we both know. Even when everything is tied firmly down during welding, the internal stresses can cause movement when unconstrained. I was lucky with the caster and ended up with pretty much what I was after.

So as a change from welding, I've done some welding today. I've made a battery box. The normal position for the battery in a G15 is in the front of the body forward of the wheel arch. Apart from helping with the balance, in my opinion the advantages of having the battery in the engine bay far outweigh having it in the front. So it's going in the back.