Ginetta G15 Restoration

John Bonnett

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from roger.england
Its all coming together well John What colour will it be?

Roger

Currently Guards Red Roger but as we all suspect, the painter will do it in whatever colour he decides. No, only joshing.  I'm sure it will be red if that's what I ask for but whether it turns out as Guards, Nissan or Rosso Red will be in his hands. I'm happy to let him have the final say because red is prone to fading and he will I am sure choose one that is stable. I've still not decided whether to have the bonnet painted or to polish it. I spent an hour or two this morning planishing out the low spots and then sanding down the file marks. Bringing up to a mirror finish will be a lot of work with successively finer grades of paper before polishing. My main concern is that if it were painted it's bound to be scuffed when it comes off every time fuel is needed. So, we'll see.

Quoted from timbancroft61
Jon,

I love G15s, so extreme;y pleased to see this car being restored by you.

Bonnet in alloy, if unpainted, what about reflections?

That's a really good point Tim and one I hadn't considered. That explains why the bonnets on some rally cars were matt black. I was only lukewarm about polishing so you have made my mind up for me. it has to be painted.  Many thanks.

Quoted from BiTurbo228
So, judging by your progress so far this'll be 2 project car's you'll have finished before I've done 1...

Cracking work

That's very kind of you. Thank you. But do bear in mind that I am retired and I can and do play every day. I cannot imagine how chaps with families and jobs ever get time to spend on their projects. So I'm full of admiration for you.

Next job is to prepare the engine cover for painting. Generally it is in good condition but as I don't want to use the round Land rover lamps the holes need filling in. I've taken the easy way out and rather than fill each hole individually I've cut the whole panel and and replaced it with aluminium. I cut it to size and joddled a step so that it fits behind the fibreglass but the front face is flush. I'v made good with filler and sanded it down. A much quicker and easier job than the fibreglassing alternative.

I'm going to use the same Mix'n'Match lamps as I have on the Triumph. I think they look good and most importantly the LED brake and rear lights are very bright.

This time a repair using fibreglass was unavoidable. There was a split in the engine cover that needed attention before the painter has it. I have a lot of respect for people who are artists with fibreglass but it's not my favourite material most likely because I'm rubbish at it and generally get in quite a mess .

So I screwed a small plate on the flange to hold the fibreglass in place and then sanded a bowl shaped depression that was deepest next to the damaged area. After a coat of resin I built it up using small pieces of matting torn from the sheet. Once cured it was sanded down and job done. Not as bad as I had feared.

Quoted from byakk0
Bolting a backing plate on is a fine idea John. I've seen that method used by the pros in various applications, so I think you are spot on.
Nice work!

Thank you Hazen. As with all my projects it's very much Make it up as you go along, which is part of the appeal.

I've ordered the lights and the number plate which I can fit and then remove for painting. This will ensure that all the holes are in place and no damage to the paint if fitted afterwards.

I've been very pleased with the Mix'n'Match lamps I've fitted to the Triumph and have decided to use them on the G15. It is important to be seen and these lamps tick that box as well as being pleasing to the eye. (In my opinion) Outer outers are LED stop and tail and the inner outers indicators. Outer inners are reflectors and inner inners reversing and high intensity fog lamps.

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/category/mix-match-lights/

I'm waiting for a suitable size holesaw to drill the rear panel but I have been able to make up aluminium enclosures that will clamp the lamp units tightly in place. Starting with  25mm wide strips of aluminium I rolled  cylinders of the correct diameter to allow the outer lamps to slide in and welded them up. End plates were then made and welded in place.

• 2 weeks later...

With the body soon to be dispatched for painting I've had to make up a trolley so that the painter can move it from his workshop to the oven. I managed to cobble something together using materials that I found in the depths of our store room. It doesn't look pretty but at zero cost that has to be good if it does the job.

With the body off the chassis I was able to offer up the roll cage jig in preparation for putting in the mountings.

I've put the fixings in for the roll cage. I have difficulty in drilling down vertically through two inch tube so to make things a bit easier I made a simple drill guide. The fixings are M10 which fit through 1/2" O/D tube. So for the guide I pressed a short length of the tube into a piece of box section. This worked out nicely and the holes top and bottom line up pretty well.

The crush tubes using the same 1/2 inch tube are now in place ready to be TIG welded in.

We now have a rolling chassis which has given me a huge psychological boost. No big deal in the scheme of things particularly as it will all have to come apart before the chassis can be painted but just seeing it on its wheels feels like a huge step forward. And I really love the MK1 Cosmics. I was amazingly lucky to find them particularly as they were made specially for the G15. And they are light like you would not believe.