Anti Roll Bar Drop Links

Matt306

My Anti Roll Bar drop links have started to separate on the bit by the bar. The metal circle have started to come away from the bush. They have done around 3000 miles, including one RBRR.  Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I noticed Rimmers do an uprated version https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-125481__2BJ at £60 anyone used these? I can see a difficulty screwing the item into the ARB or removing it if the thread sticks and the ball moves.

At £60 (!) you would do better to buy some spherical joints (male & Female) (£26), right and left hand taps (£20) to match and a length of seamless tube.
Might cost the same or less, and you have some more tools for your toy box!

See: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/McGill-Motorsports/_i.html?_fsub=7241807&_sc=1&_sop=2#items
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.ht.....and&_sacat=12576

John

did think they were pricey at 30 each. A drop link for a modern vehicle is about £18-20 though so not so bad considering the volume they will sell.

I like the thought of your 'mod' have you done it , if so have you some pics?

Quoted from Matt306
did think they were pricey at 30 each. A drop link for a modern vehicle is about £18-20 though so not so bad considering the volume they will sell.

I like the thought of your 'mod' have you done it , if so have you some pics?

Of course!

Has anyone tried removing their ARB? I had occasion to on a GT6, Smashed the one mountings off, so I removed the ARB until I could fabricate some new mountings.
I found it was more compliant to the road surfaces we have to injure now, as for roll, I didn't really notice a marked difference. It had 480lb springs which obviously helped. I was tempted to leave mine off, as I think with the set up I had it was better off on uneven surfaces without with only a marginal trade off in the roll dept. Also making it softer on the front is better for reducing under steer and increasing oversteer

Obviously you are joking or never driven hard, once on a fast sweeping up hill dual carriageway i ripped the anti roll bar mount off of the chassis on another  highly tuned classic, never felt something so catastrophically wrong or caused so much grief in my life, luckily it was late at night & no one in the other lane or i would have wiped them out.
RR

If removed at speed I can imagine it would have a dramatic effect.   I removed the whole ARB in the wksp and found at legal speeds on the rural roads I have to drive on it was an improvement in certain circumstances. Obviously it would vary from model to model and driving style etc...all I'm saying is some might prefer without.   or perhaps it's because I don't drive as hard as you.

Quoted from Spider
Has anyone tried removing their ARB? I had occasion to on a GT6, Smashed the one mountings off, so I removed the ARB until I could fabricate some new mountings.
I found it was more compliant to the road surfaces we have to injure now, as for roll, I didn't really notice a marked difference. It had 480lb springs which obviously helped. I was tempted to leave mine off, as I think with the set up I had it was better off on uneven surfaces without with only a marginal trade off in the roll dept. Also making it softer on the front is better for reducing under steer and increasing oversteer

sure,it would give a smoother more compliant ride but in the real world less effective cornering ability,

the grip of the tyre is transposed into the soft resistance of the chassis.

increase the chassis stiffness and then the limitations of the tyre are exposed.

Quoted from vitessesteve
I saw that Classic Driving Developments Ltd had made drop links - they had them on display at the Stoneleigh do earlier this year..

I have had a reply from company offered at £50 a pair plus postage.

Quoted from Spider
Has anyone tried removing their ARB?

Courier Vans have no ARB, in conjunction with the stiffer rear spring they handle incredibly well.
I'm currently building my 1300 engined Saloon to similar spec, I'll let you know how it goes...

Cheers,
Bill.