Herald 1360 Restoration

Curtis1360Barry

started striping the bulkhead on monday of all the paint with a wire brush then realised what a mamoth task it is and i havent even done half of it! So i got bored of striping the paint and rust so decided to strip and refurb the heater got some fabric sealing around the matrix, wire brushed and repainted the heater box pictures of heater to follow tomorrow !

anyone know where i can get a cheap delaney heater valve as the one on rimmers is £70!

Regards Curtis

P.S have done more of the bulkhead just forgot to picture it

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realise 13/60's had Delaney heaters, I thought they were all young enough to use Smiths. Unless someone says others wise, it's a straight swap. Was for me, anyhoo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/triumph-herald-13-60-smiths-heater-motor-box-assembley-/320968443712?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4abb35c740

I refused to pay £70 for delaney valve so I used a smiths one.
I bought it off eBay and the seller also provided a "back" for the valve so
all you have to do is put a peice of sheet metal on the origanal mount on the heater.
You drill a hole in the sheet and the smiths valve clamps over the hole.
I only have this picture for now but if you want more i'll take some more and post them

It's the brass back peice that's the important bit.

I rivited a peice of sheet metal on the old bracket,it does look like you could just put the valve bolt through it but the valve needs to be held securely so put a reasonable support there.

Top hose from heater box goes to top of the smiths valve and the bottom connects up to the three way conector, bottom heater box, the steel tube that runs from the pump and the water pipe from the inlet manifold

You can just see the three way connector through the hole in my peice of sheet steel

Hope that helps,if not I can post more pics !
Just ask

Thanks Dave, I have seen Delaney ones on canleys for £56 but they are out of stock so I think I might get one of those if in the meantime I can't find one cheaper. Still expensive at that price! May even pop into a local auto factors see if they can pick them up any cheaper. Thanks for the pics Dave much appreciated

Whilst on the topic - I have a few spares, NOS DG heater valves among them, that have been lying idle in a drawer for years now in anticipation of being used some day in the future. Any tips on keeping them pristine so that when that day comes, the seals aren't all dried out and useless?

4535 wrote:
Thanks Dave, I have seen Delaney ones on canleys for £56 but they are out of stock so I think I might get one of those if in the meantime I can't find one cheaper. Still expensive at that price! May even pop into a local auto factors see if they can pick them up any cheaper. Thanks for the pics Dave much appreciated

The same/similar heater controls were used on some series landrovers, it might be worth trying somewhere like craddocks, paddocks or famous four, all on google. If it's landrover it is usually cheap.