Jaguar X-Type seats?

Chris Saunders

Thanks for the reply, but what are "1 ton BMW seats"?
I know that Alpha 156 seats fit fairly easily but black leather ones without the embossed Alpha logo are not easy to find. Black leather Jaguar X-Type seats are in abundance and they don't have an embossed logo, AND they look good. I've looked at most of the seats (Rover, Alpha, etc.) that are often fitted but I've not looked at any BMW seats.
Regards
Chris

Appearance aside you need a fairly deep seat that parks your butt close to the floor, leaving your knees high, and giving good thigh support, especially if you are over 6'.  Otherwise you'll be too close to the roof and your legs will appear to be too long for your arms.  

I've got BMW E36 Coupe seats in mine (not an easy fit) and though they look good and are great for anyone of shorter stature (being hugely adjustable), they just don't quite work for long-legged, tall people.  As a long-legged tall person I find this disappointing after the effort of fitting!  Triumph saloons have an odd shaped cabin.......  Must say that the Alfa 156 seats seem to work and 147 ones seem to be very similar.

Nick

PS the 1 tonne seats might simply be comment that the BMW seats are flippin' heavy - 'cause they are!

Nick_Jones wrote:
PS the 1 tonne seats might simply be comment that the BMW seats are flippin' heavy - 'cause they are!

No, they are even heavier than that.

I would expect them to double the weight of a Herald /Vitesse, and seriously impact the performance of a Big saloon.

There are a lot of experts about now at fitting Alfa 156 seats.

One day one of them will take some photos!

Cheers

Colin

BMW E46 seats in my big saloon, oops I mean Estate and they are heavy!!! It is all the electrics that it has and all wired up as well, the car weighs 1365kg 8), I know this because it was weighed.  
Doesn't effect the performance though, just stopping when docking  ;D
It has proved to be a good conversion and I only sit a little higher, but don't hit the roof even with my crash helmet on  ;)

For what it's worth, I would say that the seats in my x-type are my only complaint about the car.
They seem comfortable at first, but after about half an hour I find they get quite uncomfortable and some of the supporting structure seems to dig in - anything over an hour and I get a dead leg.
They are the "Sport" seats (half leather), if that makes a difference.

Of course, I could just have a fat arse.

5714 wrote:
Hi
Has anyone any experience of fitting Jaguar X-Type seats to a MkII? Do they fit, etc., etc.?
Regards
Chris

Looks like the X-type seats should work
41cm length between holes
34.5cm wide between holes

Measurements for 2000
37.5cm btween holes
33.6cm wide between holes

These are give or take cm measurements, very hard to get an exact reading.
Certainly look easier than the BMW jobbies to install  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

5714 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I've noted all your comments. I think I'll keep looking for Alpha 156 (or 147) seats. Wonder if they're available without the Alpha logo, or I could follow Lee's example; and put another another logo in the hole!  ;D
Regards
Chris

They do come without the logo. I have them in two of my cars.

I found my Alfa seats a bit too high if left with all the height adjuster stuff underneath, so stripped all that off.

It then gets much more difficult, as the ones I chose are built up around the alloy shell and the runners are fitted before the seats are upholstered.

Not impossible, but quite time consuming. Did the trick for the RBRR. :-)

Picture attached.

Mine are the logo'd ones, in the not particularly common blue, and I had teh oportunity to get the delivered free if purchased there and then.

The ones without the logo (they are the ones with the armrest) are built differently, and are much easier.

Mr Radley is the expert, couple of hours to fit them he reckons.

He has another set (or 2 :-) ) to do shortly, perhaps he could take some pictures.

If he hasn't taken Mr Jones up on teh offer of his Tan ones, we know where there is a tan set!

Cheers

Colin