'Highback' GT6 Seats

Bradley1500

2572 wrote:

Here they are:

HOLY CRAP HYMODYNE NEW TAN HIGHBACKS WITH VERTICAL PLEATS

This buzzard would like the skins off your seats if another one gets the innards.
Do you have any other unloved New Tan upholstery pieces?

I would challenge you to a duel for them, for I am The Most Dangerous Swordsman In All French Louisiana, mostly because I don't see in 3-D, but sometimes I forget & my parry of seconde gives a little too much away & I get embarrassed.

Alright Bill, you seem to know a thing or two about these seats! ;)

Lovely pictures too, the red seats look fantastic.

I think I prefer the horizontal pleats as regards to the seat structure but prefer the look of vertical pleats, if that make sense.

James, I've sent you another pm, let me know what's happening with the seats. :)

Bradley.

The parts catalog shows that the occasional rear seat was available for non-US cars from commission number KC50001.  There's a diagram of the components in the parts catalog, but I don't have a picture showing one in place.

The occasional rear seat was available on the Mk3 in the US, however.  The mind boggles when considering what was wrong with it before that they changed to make it acceptable in the Mk3.  It probably required a sticker reading "NOT A REAL PLACE TO SIT".

I'd guess there wouldn't be a lot of space back there with them fitted.

A quick search on google threw this up, a MK2 GT6 restoration.

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1267839478/s-all/

Scroll down a few posts there is a picture of the rear seats that have been striped out, but unfortunately no pictures of them fitted.

Bradley.

rotoflex wrote:
It probably required a sticker reading "NOT A REAL PLACE TO SIT".

I have a pair of Kirkey race seats (American) their disclaimer is just a little comprensive.

KIRKEY RACING FABRICATION, INC. manufactured and/or distributed the enclosed components for use on vehicles designed and built by persons not associated or controlled by KIRKEY RACING FABRICATION, INC. No specific use is recommended, intended or contemplated. Because some environments may subject components to severe stress, and because components are affected by many forces beyond the forcibility and control of KIRKEY RACING FABRICATION, INC., these products are sold WITHOUT WARRANTY EXPRESSED OF MERCHANTABILITY OR OF FITNESS FOR ANY PURPOSE. NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED ACCOMPANIES THESE PRODUCTS AND THE PURCHASER AND/OR USER, HAVING INSPECTED THESE COMPONENTS, MAKES THE SOLE DETERMINATION OF THEIR SUITABILITY FOR USE IN AN APPLICATION OF HIS OR HER OWN DESIGN. By the installation of these components, the user or installer assumes all risks of damage, injury or death

Ahh right.

Bill - you are truly a wealth of knowledge.  I'm kind of glad that I didn't know about Newton Commercial when I was redoing my seats last year, however.  I probably would have done something I'd regret like getting the kits and trying to do them myself instead of having my upholstery buddy do them in leather with embroidered logo.
As it was, I had to settle for low back foams from VB and he fabricated new headrests.

Not original, but extremely comfy and I actually like the way he used single piping around the entire seatback and not also between the headrest portion.  Makes the the headrest look integral to the design rather than tacked on.

2402 wrote:
Hi hymodyne, are they the reclining type???
Chris

Not only do they recline, but if you are standing by the door & pull up on the recliner handle, they go sproing & the backs fold forward almost completely over the bases to give roomy access to the cargo area for putting stuff in & taking it out.  There's another lever at the bottom in the back that when operated allows the whole seat including the base, to be tilted forward to give easy access to all the change that has fallen from your pocket & rolled under the seat.  I don't know how much they've got in common with the home market seats, but the highback seats are very cleverly engineered for convenience in a small car.

I just noticed that the recliner handle on the first GT6+ seats is different!  It's a rod with a black handle, like the rear lever in all the following seats.  The recliner handle in the next year's GT6+ & the Mk3's is a chromed, cast metal shape with ridges.  I am such a geek.

Perforated inserts too, Docman, how much did they set you back?   Usually I love the smell of leather in a car, but I must ask how they've been after a hot summer in a GT6.  You may no't have a reference to compare with the OEM seats, but how would you rate stickiness, warm/cool, does it smell luxurious or like a hot cow, etc.

3106 wrote:
Bill - you are truly a wealth of knowledge.  I'm kind of glad that I didn't know about Newton Commercial when I was redoing my seats last year, however.  I probably would have done something I'd regret like getting the kits and trying to do them myself instead of having my upholstery buddy do them in leather with embroidered logo.
As it was, I had to settle for low back foams from VB and he fabricated new headrests.

Not original, but extremely comfy and I actually like the way he used single piping around the entire seatback and not also between the headrest portion.  Makes the the headrest look integral to the design rather than tacked on.

Me Likey. :)

As for the high backs they are exactly the same as our 1500 spitfire seats except they didn't have the top welded on making the solid head rest. I might just stick with what I've got.

Chris.

Bill, my PM would not send. Suggest a fair price and I'll box them up. One complete, one seat skin only.

James

rotoflex wrote:

Not only do they recline, but if you are standing by the door & pull up on the recliner handle, they go sproing & the backs fold forward almost completely over the bases to give roomy access to the cargo area for putting stuff in & taking it out.  There's another lever at the bottom in the back that when operated allows the whole seat including the base, to be tilted forward to give easy access to all the change that has fallen from your pocket & rolled under the seat.  I don't know how much they've got in common with the home market seats, but the highback seats are very cleverly engineered for convenience in a small car.

I just noticed that the recliner handle on the first GT6+ seats is different!  It's a rod with a black handle, like the rear lever in all the following seats.  The recliner handle in the next year's GT6+ & the Mk3's is a chromed, cast metal shape with ridges.  I am such a geek.

Perforated inserts too, Docman, how much did they set you back?   Usually I love the smell of leather in a car, but I must ask how they've been after a hot summer in a GT6.  You may no't have a reference to compare with the OEM seats, but how would you rate stickiness, warm/cool, does it smell luxurious or like a hot cow, etc.

rotoflex wrote:

I seem to remember $1300, but that was covering everything in Bridge of Weir (Aston Martin) hides except for the rear panels which were done in vinyl.  My buddy wanted to do the door cards too, but my masonite was too far gone and VB had new replacements for $110/pair.  I probably should have made new cards (I think a previous thread recommended 1/4" plywood base) and had him do those too.  That would have made all touchable surfaces leather (but definitely more than $110).  
If you add in the cost of new foams, door cards, furflex seals, most of the carpet, replacing what was missing when I bought the car plus steering wheel, I've nearly doubled my initial purchase price just re-doing the interior.  At least I've said goodby to the orange vinyl, cordoroy and shag carpet (still need a plan for the shit-brindle brown paint).

It's only been 4 months so I still smell leather, and the seats are not sticky on even the hottest of days.  It may be tough to justify the extra expense of leather, but your interior is where you interface with the car, what you see while driving and its just so buttery soft!   Mmmmmm
New foams made the biggest difference - the old ones had turned to dust.  I can't see why anyone would want to swap out their originals when the factory units are so good.