'Highback' GT6 Seats

Bradley1500

4992 wrote:
Thanks Laurence, looks like I'll have to get a set from the States then.

Chris, they look fantastic don't they. :)

Bradley.

They do turn up in UK too I know of a pair in co Antrim. Ask Chic Doig if he can lay his hands on a pair.

Bradley, search the suppliers over here, quite a few would have come over in the 90's when lots of stuff was re-imported.
Also be aware you will probably have to get them recovered, and that means custom jobbies, no kits (as far as I am aware)

The high back seats are wonderful.  
The ones without the moveable headrest have the top not behind your head, but just below the base of your skull so you can drop your head back & it will support it for a snooze.  They have lumbar & side bolstering, but no shoulder bolstering which is extremely comfortable.

Newton Commercial make upholstery kits for them, in most configurations:
http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/triumph-gt6/model-155/seats/

Except for highback seats in New Tan with perforated vertical pleats, which are the most advanced & desirable of all seats.  Why oh why.

I stand corrected! I was suer I looked a few years ago and nothing was available then. Or maybe I just didn't lok hard enough.
The seats used to appear at the stafford show, sometimes a few sets. But that was ages ago. Not seen them for a while except in the odd GT6+

If you can't find them over there, you can probably save on shipping from the US by buying just the frames, which show up from time to time on ebay US.  They don't always sell, so check the completed listings & msg the seller.  You may get an even better price, then.  Since you'll be reupholstering anyway, the frames are all you need, & are lighter than completete seats.

2572 wrote:
I still have my highback seats, and will let them go for 65 quid plus shipping if interested. They will need to be re-covered and have their foam replaced.
pm me,
James

And new frames, apart from that they are perfect.

If you have them shipped from the US, & the seller seems perplexed about packaging & is disinclined to detach the backs from the bases, the highback seats fit perfectly for shipping in a "Shorty Wardrobe" box available at U-Haul.  Two might fit with one upside-down, two frames would certainly fit that way with some packing material of a few pieces of rolled-up corrugated cardboard.

If you're reupholstering:  there were two basic styles apart from color, with vertical pleats in the insert panel on the back & the base pleats parallel to them, or horizontal pleats on the back with the pleats on the base parallel to them.  I think the vertical pleats feel the coolest & most comfortable.  Perforated material was used in the insert panels; I shudder to think of the reduced heat extraction resulting from unperforated material.

Gt6s wrote:

And new frames, apart from that they are perfect.

Actually, the frames are in pretty good condition, all knowing one... :K)

For folks that PM'd me, I will get some pictures of the seats posted later today. I live in Maryland, USA, postal code 21801.

James

Here they are:

The grey one represents my attempt to re-cover and re-foam a seat. the frame was repainted and new foam was cut and put in. The brown seat is exactly as it was when I took it out of the car t years ago. Both will need new seat rails.

James

I wonder if the frames were different between the highback seats with horizontal pleats (US GT6+, elsewhere Mk2), & the highback seats with vertical pleats (US GT6 Mk3 1971 & 1972).  The side bolster construction is different.

Probably 1968 brochure for GT6+:

This GT6+ brochure had 1970 pencilled on it:

US GT6 Mk3 brochure, either 1971 or 1972:

US GT6 Mk3 brochure; if the previous was 1971 this is 1972, otherwise vice-versa:

US GT6 Mk3 brochure, 1973.  Seats now had the moveable headrest & fabric panels.  I wonder how funky-smelling those fabric panels could get after a few good sweats in a GT6: