73 spitfire 1500 rear wheels question

easloan

Hello everyone. I'm new to the group. My wife and I bought a 1973 spitfire 1500 about six years ago and I started doing a lot of electrical work on it and some other repairs. We moved to Florida from Pennsylvania (USA) about a year after buying the car. It has sat under a cover for five years now, but I am now ready to get her up and running :-)

My question is: While looking at the car from the rear, the back tires tilt outwards at the top and it doesn't look like they are supposed to do that. I am attaching a couple photos. With the rear wheels removed, you can see that the drums sit at an angle.

Should I be concerned? And if so, what should I be looking to correct? Thanks in advance for your help/insight with this. Ed

Hi, yes they all do that to a greater or lesser degree! Its worse after having just lifted the back off the ground and can vary depending on the rigidity/curve of the spring and weight carried in the car.

Aluminium spacer blocks of different thicknesses are available to go between the spring and diff which lower the rear of the car and give the wheels a more -ve camber.

Thats an interesting one. Does anyone actually know what a long halfshaft car looks like with short ones and what about a short axle car with long shafts fitted (might be an worthwhile mod)?

Edward during the life of the Spitfire two different length halfshafts were fitted with later cars like yours getting the slightly longer ones. It looks like theyre interchangeable so theres always the small possibility of the wrong ones being fitted (a wheel bearing runs directly on the shaft so they do wear out) and of course this will affect the rear wheel camber....

Thank you everyone for your insights. I'll be getting out to the garage this weekend to do some work on the car and will check things out with a new perspective. I actually have two haynes manuals and a couple restoration manuals for the car. I better take a closer look at them :-) Thank you all again for the insights. Ed