High torque or power lite starter motors

scotty71

Are you sure the problem is down to the starter motor? My Vitesse spins up fine when hot on a standard starter motor but doesnt like to start probably because of low cylinder compression and/or fuel vaporisation. Starter motors usually struggle most when the motors cold as the compression is higher, oil thicker and battery voltage low....

4-pot or 6-pot?

If a 6-pot I can see the advantage of a hi-torque. Do make sure all your battery cables are good (power and earth inc the starter one). See if any are hot to the touch after trying to crank.

I've fitted them to all the PI's and the Stag. definitely makes starting easier.

I don't know, I've always had Joe Lucas's starter motors on all my sixes. No problems, they always turn over quickly for me. I they don't, remember how old they are and get them overhauled. Much cheaper than a modern Japo one. (oh)
Tony.

If you decide you are in the market for a high torque starter- do look out for a standard isuzu trooper 2.6 (or equivalent), 9 tooth one. The oe triumph spacer plate will need about a 1/4 inch milled off it (do measure first- don't take my word for it) and it will fit right up with a couple of basic wiring mods.
I believe that is the motor they use on the high torque starter kits they sell. Should save you a couple of hundred if you get a good price.
I did it years ago as I had a bad run with the lucas ones and got a bit fed up. A second hand isuzu starter didn't cost much from the wreckers and I just cant see it ever failing. It's powerful enough to move the car about

if ye olde Lucas is playing up, check the cables, if that's not the problem then a new set of brushes and a clean up of the Bendix normally sorts it. Failing that they're only about thirty or so quid exchange from any decent local spares shop. There's no need to go to the expense of a geared starter, you're not trying to turn over a cold diesel in the middle of winter.

Try it with an extra earth- use a jump lead directly from one of the starter mounting bolts to the battery earth terminal. You could also try starting it by bypassing the solenoid and just using a jump lead connected to the battery positive, and touch the starter terminal with the other end. Watch out for sparks! Either test will show if there's issues with the wiring, but buying a geared starter is not the solution.

when hot the starter motor seems a little slower. the car wants to fire, but it take a couple attempts to do so.
i did have a bit muck on the dizzy. but i had cleaned it off, and the time it took to start it was about the same.
it just needs to be a bit quicker on cranking over.

Strange cos it should spin faster when hot for the reasons listed previously. I cant think of any electrical problem which will cause the starter to turn slower only when hot so still think you should work through other possibilities (cylinder compression, tappet clearances, carb function and all of the LT/HT ignition system)

I have a vague memory of a car that had a similar problem, it turned out to be a bad electrical connection in, I think, the starter itself, though I'm really not sure now. Check all your earthing straps - not just visually, have them off and fiddle a bit - and if you have no luck there take the starter off. Open it up if you're confident with these things or have it overhauled if not. There's definitely a fault somewhere and finding and curing it will cost you a lot less than a fancy new starter.

the earth strap on the engine has a good ground to it, but I will have a look at the starter motor this weekend. I still think it is the brushes are to soft! I did buy some more some years ago for the old starter. so they could be the next thing to look at.