Starter Motor Defective?

cbjroms

I have just replaced the engine in my 13/60 and before connecting fuel and electrical system thought I would just try turning it over on the starter motor.

So using jump leads to connect a spare (leisure) battery that I have handy direct to the starter motor. With plugs in place the engine turns-over very, very slowly.

The battery is fully charged. So does this indicate a starter motor problem? Or is it just that I am dropping excessive voltage through the jump leads?

Chris

Depends on your jump leads maybe.  If they are of the skinny, wet string variety they might be contributing.  However, I think it might be the type of battery.

Leisure batteries are designed for a different purpose and I don't think they are able to provide the high current flows needed by a car starter motor.

I'd try a proper car battery (using decent cable/jump leads) before condemning the starter.

Nick

Hi chris, I had a similar problem last year, where my starter motor turned over very slowly even on a fully charged battery. Eventually found out that the insulator around the positive terminal on the motor ( where it goes through the motor casing)  had cracked, so every time I turned it over it was shorting straight to chassis.