Leaf Spring clean up

mazfg

My rather cruddy leaf spring is now removed from the car after taking out the diff and half shafts. Wondered what the best thing to do with it as it's cruddy, got bits of underseal on it and general mud n a bit of rust.
I don;t want to dismantle it but have a friend who shot blasts n red oxides stuff. Is it worth giving it to him to do that? then pushing grease in where I can?
Or maybe just a wire brush to dislodge loose stuff and then a spray of Dinitrol? I though as it waxy it shouldn't impair the spring movement?

Thanks in advance

I can't imagine blasting it with any media would be a good thing unless it was disassembled and each leaf blasted individually (you'd never get all the media out from in between the leaves, and I can't imagine that being good for spring action). I would go with your last suggestion of simply cleaning off the loose stuff and then, as the manuals recommend during regular servicing, "painting" it with used engine oil or gear oil.

Dismantling is just a few bolts?
I would do that and wire brush it up.

If you want to lubricate the spring, you can wrap it is denso tape after http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Plumbing+Consumables/sd2711/Petro+Tape+10m/p57185

but I have never bothered.

If you want to coat it with a protective wax, the hard dinitrol underbody stuff may work.It feels like underseal, but is definitely just a wax. Flexible enough I think.

When I rebuilt the 13/60 I took the Leaf Spring apart cleaned each leaf gave each one a treatment of cure rust followed by a coat of paint each leaf was then coated with grease new buttons and bushes and then replaced.

As I recall only one of the leaves state direction of fit so before I took it apart I ran the angle grinder disk down the front edge to aid reassembly.

Hope this helps.

Quoted from midgeman
When I rebuilt the 13/60 I took the Leaf Spring apart cleaned each leaf gave each one a treatment of cure rust followed by a coat of paint each leaf was then coated with grease new buttons and bushes and then replaced.

Thanks for that..looks awesome!

Not sure what "grease buttons" are?  I've still got the poly bushes in mine from when they were changed 4 years ago so all good.

Quoted from mazfg

Thanks for that..looks awesome!

Not sure what "grease buttons" are?  I've still got the poly bushes in mine from when they were changed 4 years ago so all good.

Not sure what "grease buttons" are? 

Sorry for my lack of punctuation.

The Buttons I refer to are the Rubber Buttons that go between the Leaves.

Ok, found the rubber buttons: 114006  at the usual places. Paddocks do them 60p each and you'll need 8 altogether.

Just cleaned the top plate after having disassembled the spring to find it is stamped with "Front"..also did what midgeman did and ground a line for re-assembly. My only thought was that the spring has at some point been put back in the opposite way round as the "front" marker was on towards the back...?  I shall put it back as intended when all is done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quoted from Hammy
Just stripped my replacement swing spring for a herald 13/60 can you tell me where you bought the new bolts nuts and spacers etc to renovate thanks

Bought the bolts from ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3711.....e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

New thrust buttons and nylocs nuts from James Paddock:
http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/parts.aspx?searchtext=114006
http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/parts.aspx?searchtext=GHF221

I made up my own spacers from some brass tubing I found at work.