1971 2000 mk2 auto rear springs ?

Steve28

Hello Steve,

do have a look at the various mountings and bushes in case they are worn out and causing the settle. Have you checked the upper spring mountings also as these can collapse with corrosion?

I've no experience of estate springs so can't comment on their suitability on a saloon.

Alec

I believe it can be done, and used to be favoured by caravanners towing with saloons.

Personally I would buy some new springs from Chris Witor, his 'standard' pre facelift saloon rear springs are not expensive, they are not difficult to change and you will be very pleased with the results.

I did this three weeks ago to the pi and the results, both in looks and how the car feels on the road have been excellent.

Cheers Colin.

piman wrote:
Hello Steve,

do have a look at the various mountings and bushes in case they are worn out and causing the settle. Have you checked the upper spring mountings also as these can collapse with corrosion?

I've no experience of estate springs so can't comment on their suitability on a saloon.

Alec

upper spring mounts are no problem the car is completley unwelded rot free    
bushes are rubber (hope to polybush it sometime)  

STEVE

CRAJ wrote:
I believe it can be done, and used to be favoured by caravanners towing with saloons.

Personally I would buy some new springs from Chris Witor, his 'standard' pre facelift saloon rear springs are not expensive, they are not difficult to change and you will be very pleased with the results.

I did this three weeks ago to the pi and the results, both in looks and how the car feels on the road have been excellent.

Cheers Colin.

Hi colin its steve from rotherham (wedgewood blue)
              ive got apair for est that i might try but how much are the new ones and whats the difference pre and post face lift                    thanks steve

1874 wrote:

Hi colin its steve from rotherham (wedgewood blue)
              ive got apair for est that i might try but how much are the new ones and whats the difference pre and post face lift                    thanks steve

Now then Steve. You haven't seen the pi with the new springs, but I will try and be at the next meeting on the 27th, you can have a look for yourself then. I put poly insulators on at the same time and some new dampers, but the dampers won't effect the ride height.
The car used to bottom out on bumpy roads if you had a fair amount of petrol and two kids in the back.
We went to France with the register with 4 peoples luggage and my mum and dad in the back and the ride was perfect.
Best of all, the rear suspension doesn't look too high with nobody in it and you will be suuprised how decent rear springs effects the steering and height of the front of the car.
Money well spent!

Colin.

P.s. we are off to WCR40 this weekend doing the register stand, if you are going there come and say hello, expect you are off to Crich though.

1874 wrote:

They do look great but seems too low when empty never mind when loaded

Steve

My mate's 2500S was very low at the back due to weak springs and knackered outer subframe mounts, probably more to do with the subframe mounts than anything else.

I thought estate just used the same length springs as the saloons but with a different rating?

Facelift springs on a pre facelift car are likely to cause odd, positive rear wheel camber unless you change the shackles too to alter the pivot points of the trailing arms.

Mine has the original springs on the back but can really be loaded up quite a lot without any adverse effects other than a slight loss of damping control when taking bumpy roads at inadvisable speeds.................

sorbs wrote:

My mate's 2500S was very low at the back due to weak springs and knackered outer subframe mounts, probably more to do with the subframe mounts than anything else.

I thought estate just used the same length springs as the saloons but with a different rating?

Facelift springs on a pre facelift car are likely to cause odd, positive rear wheel camber unless you change the shackles too to alter the pivot points of the trailing arms.

Mine has the original springs on the back but can really be loaded up quite a lot without any adverse effects other than a slight loss of damping control when taking bumpy roads at inadvisable speeds.................

mine sits lower than that at the back

It's a little higher than it was due to the new Polybush spring insulators I fitted a while ago.

Sounds like you just need a new pair of springs, and if it's still low after you fit those, new outer subframe mounts.  They can look fine until you remove them but just fall apart as soon as they're off the car.  I'm sure mine have seen better days and are on the list of things to renew.

Saloon rear spring rates were 277lb/in, estates around 430 lb/in.  I think higher rate springs are available in 395 / 475 / 575 flavours.

Even if you go for the firmest 575 lb/in 'uprated' rear springs,  the ride will still be OK if you use decent dampers, just a bit lumpy like a modern car.  If you go down this route it'd be a good idea to do a matching upgrade to the front too.

CRAJ wrote:

Now then Steve. You haven't seen the pi with the new springs, but I will try and be at the next meeting on the 27th, you can have a look for yourself then. I put poly insulators on at the same time and some new dampers, but the dampers won't effect the ride height.
The car used to bottom out on bumpy roads if you had a fair amount of petrol and two kids in the back.
We went to France with the register with 4 peoples luggage and my mum and dad in the back and the ride was perfect.
Best of all, the rear suspension doesn't look too high with nobody in it and you will be suuprised how decent rear springs effects the steering and height of the front of the car.
Money well spent!

Colin.

P.s. we are off to WCR40 this weekend doing the register stand, if you are going there come and say hello, expect you are off to Crich though.

thanks colin,goin to crich see you at meeting for a chat all things triumph.     steve

sorbs wrote:
It's a little higher than it was due to the new Polybush spring insulators I fitted a while ago.

Sounds like you just need a new pair of springs, and if it's still low after you fit those, new outer subframe mounts.  They can look fine until you remove them but just fall apart as soon as they're off the car.  I'm sure mine have seen better days and are on the list of things to renew.

Saloon rear spring rates were 277lb/in, estates around 430 lb/in.  I think higher rate springs are available in 395 / 475 / 575 flavours.

Even if you go for the firmest 575 lb/in 'uprated' rear springs,  the ride will still be OK if you use decent dampers, just a bit lumpy like a modern car.  If you go down this route it'd be a good idea to do a matching upgrade to the front too.

looks like springs and polybushes all round.       cheers

Archived