Fesour

Hmmm.... I've only had the 2000 Estate a couple of months and because it was dry stored for years changing the tyres is on my list of things to do. So I visit my local tyre place in Lewes and he sucks his teeth and says something about them being thinner than standard and so need to be specially ordered in.

Well when I had my 2.5 Estate a few years ago, albeit with those nice Stag wheels (which leaked air because the aluminum reacted to the air or something) I had no trouble getting standard tyres on.

So, are the tyres I need hard to find - or is the tyre man trying it on? What do we think???

5878 wrote:
Hmmm.... I've only had the 2000 Estate a couple of months and because it was dry stored for years changing the tyres is on my list of things to do. So I visit my local tyre place in Lewes and he sucks his teeth and says something about them being thinner than standard and so need to be specially ordered in.

Well when I had my 2.5 Estate a few years ago, albeit with those nice Stag wheels (which leaked air because the aluminum reacted to the air or something) I had no trouble getting standard tyres on.

So, are the tyres I need hard to find - or is the tyre man trying it on? What do we think???

The standard 175SR13  (80 profile) are thin on the ground now, almost impossible to find, as Alan says 185/70/13 will give a good compromise.
On the 14" alloys as fitted to Stags 195/70/14 are perfect.

Colin

Without getting my torch out, I believe that I have original wheels....when I had the alloys on my other Triumph 2000 Estate the tyres kept losing air, so not sure I want a new set.....

So I'll go for the 185/70/13s then....

Thanks guys!

Actually my previous 2000 Estate was turned into a 2500 when I got it - the previous owner had put in a 2500 engine and re-badged the whole thing....I did wonder whether my insurance would pay out if.......

• 1 month later...

As a new member and new owner (1975 2500TC Saloon) I too need new tyres. (From the DOT codes it would appear that my present tyres date from 1987 and 1989, ouch!)
My wheels are 13" steels, so what is the informed opinion on suitable tyre sizes please?
Quentin

Quentin.

See if you can pick up a set of 14inch stag steels, or even a set of 14inch 2.5S wheels, opens up a whole world of decent quality tyres at affordable prices.

A quick bit of checking shows late ('75) 2500TC's had 185-13 tyres, even rarer than 175-13 tyres.

If you want to stick with 13inchers, 175/70-13 gives plenty of choice, there are some Kumho's for about £35 a corner.

Cheers

Colin

Blackcircles.com is a good place to buy, I have always found them to be cheaper than most of my local places, and a tyre fitter near me charged £10 per wheel fitting.

You may find you can buy the size you want yourself, rather than the tyre place themselves and their inevitable mark up.

I don't always trust the tyre places. I asked if they could supply track tyres (specifically Yokohamas), and the guy said they could not, but suggested a tyre called a 'Marshall' which are apparenly 'sporty'. I walked out at that point.

70 profiles are also getting thin on the ground for choice, 65 profiles on the other hand have a huge range of manufacturers you can choose from. This debate is currently raging on the classic rally circles where 70 profile are currently stipulated but scarce and expensive.

I run 6 x 13 Australian Superlite rims, which are in my opinion better quality then any of the UK manufacturers at present with 185/70/13 gravel tyres/ Kumho/Dunlop or Pirelli GMs. Would much rather fit some quality 65 profile road rubber though when the regs are hopefully amended.

Nick_Jones wrote:
Originals were 175/80 R13.  I'm pretty sure that the only ones you'll find that size now are intended for vans and not really suitable for car use.  You should be able to find 175/70 R13 easily enough though.  Will shorten the gearing a little but not too serious.

Nick

Most tyre places can order the correct 175/80 x 13 car tyres. As I say don't get stiffed with van tyres, I drove a 2000 so equipped and it was terrifying.