If Jason buys the mk1 Pi, what wheels?

Tim Bancroft

Jason - they're quite easy to rebuild. A little bit fiddly but with some tweezers you can get them back together fine.

Once it's out - just knock out the pivot pin with a very tiny drift - take it apart and clean out any gunk on the inside. You'll be able to see by the plastic track on the inside if it's salvagable.

If I remember I'll bring my broken spare along to show you what it shouldn't look like.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't remember who I spoke to on the phone (one of th parts suppliers), reckons the headlight wiring in the column housing shorts out all the time, which is why my inner headlights dont work at the mo. Hopefully is not that (I still need to check a dodgy fuse), cos me and wiring usually equals disaster!

Slight tangent - stereos? What do people fit?  

With the later stalks they tend to stop working because the contacts inside burn up... on a late Spitfire at least (same system I think) you can easily fix it by taking off the shroud and using a bit of sandpaper on the contacts.

2500_Stiffler wrote:

Slight tangent - stereos? What do people fit?  

I wanted mine out of sight, so bought one with a IR remote and mounted it in the glove box. That leaves the radio slot free for a 52mm rev-counter and oil pressure gauge. (mines a MKII 2000 so no rev counter and I didn't want to swap dashboards)

The speakers are 6x4s mounted where the rear door ash-trays were. Saves cutting the door cards.

Russell.

Caroline wrote:

Where do you put speakers?

I've one set in the rear door ash-tray holes. The others are monted in the estate compartment on the cardboard side panels. If I ever needed to replace those, to remove the holes, it's easy to make new ones.

It does mean that any rear seat passengers get the best sound, but I'd rather that than chopping the door cards about.

Russell.

Archived