If Jason buys the mk1 Pi, what wheels?

Tim Bancroft

He needs help, he is thinking about a set of those awful minilite reps that one sees on so many cars-don't do it! The other problem with those alloys is that they weigh alot!

I'd go for a set of either Revolution 5 spoke alloys 15'' 7J or the great looking Compomotive ML Minilite Reps same size as the Revs.

Chris Witor could help, however a deal could possibly be done with an official supplier?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some nice 13" steels with a globe hubcap. Very tidy, and if that's what the factory people thought looked best, well they probably knew best, didn't they.

Now, on to a trickier question - cross-plys or radials? hmmmm.

I'm trawling fleabay now for ideas mainly. I've always been a fan of Minilites, I like the real ones :-) I do also like the revolutions.

What are the critical dimensions for wheels? What else fits?

And it's not if, just when!

And I love to drive slow Alex, so you can keep up ;-)

Greeks wrote:
I think some nice 13" steels with a globe hubcap. Very tidy, and if that's what the factory people thought looked best, well they probably knew best, didn't they.

Now, on to a trickier question - cross-plys or radials? hmmmm.

Never standard!!

sorbs wrote:
Is fade really a problem on the saloons?  I've never noticed it even in hilly places with my automatic car.  It's wheels have no vent slots for the brakes at all.

I dont think youve been trying?.....I mean really trying!! ;D ;)

...even worse if you're the passenger!

Bit like my wife's experience at the weekend - we came down a hill and into a corner a bit too fast on a loose gravel road. I flicked o/d off to try and lose a bit of speed and the back end began to loosen up.

I had one of those moments where I was starting to decide which side of the road would be nicer to crash on... then regained control. Phew.

Quote:
I think we need some picture of saloons with various wheels fitted!

No help to Jason cause it's the much better looking Mk 2  :D but here is a shiny car with steel wheels and factory wheel trims:

here it is a year later with Weller 8 spokes -- this time the wheels are shiny the car is not  ;D

Not sure how they'd look on a Mk1 though.

I like ORIGINAL Minilights on Mk 1s -- although I think they look bogging on Mk2s. All the new Minilight repros I've seen have the wrong offset and look :X on our cars IMHO  

ML 7 x 15 are a very tight fit at the back on a Mk2  or Mk1 with Mk2 arms... biggest tyre ~ 195/60 15 without arch mods... if it is a original Mk1 PI... no worries

The Minilites on my Mk2 fitted no problem... correct offset but still would need arch mods for a bigger tyre

TR6 wheels on a Mk1 (worskalike v.1.2  ;D). Given all the snow and ice that the Pyrenees could throw at us, we just could not lose grip - ended up overtaking cars in snowchains in the race to the Andorran border before they shut the road.

You might just detect a little camber on those rear wheels :-D (that was 'cos of all the spares in the boot)

Archived