If Jason buys the mk1 Pi, what wheels?

Tim Bancroft

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to need wheels and tyres in order to collect the car, we can stick a set of MOT specials on it ot get a ticket but it's not going anywhere on the original steels and 40 year old rubber - well that's certain as 13" wheels won't fit over the Stag brakes.
So, the immediate quest is for something cheap to fit now and then something to aim for when funds allow (ie when I sell the Vitesse).
TR6 Steels seem to be a way to go for cheap and chearful now but what else?
Where are people getting their nice wheels from and at price? There seems far more choice for the big saloons that the little ones :-)
I'm stuck in over the weekend, touch of Delhi Belly and the Holi weekend here - everyone gets stoned, drunk and throws coloured die around. So, I was thinking I could do some surfing and find out prices n stuff.

Jason you could always get a set of 14" stag steels whilst you sell the herald ;D ;)then you'd be able to take your time before ordering alloys.
14" tyres are cheap as anything but you could sell them on afterwards?

That's what I was thinking as the wheels I like, the Compomotive ML Competition ones are going to be about 500 quid then there's tyres on top of that.
Some 14" steels and ditchfinder remoulds would be fine to move the car on. Any ideas what other cars wheels will fit? I'm thinking of just getting some old tat from fleabay for the time being unless anyone has some Stag steels they want to off load?

Alex: MG Rostyles-are you on something?

Get a set of dodgy S alloys and paint them black.

Ellis has my set of TR6 steels, not being used, I could lend them to you.

Long term: I reckon a set of 15'' Comp MLs or howabout Rev 15'' split rims?

Pearson seems to be interested in 17'' wheels-would not look good on a mk1.

These are the loaner set used to get it an MOT last time, hasn't been anywhere since it's last MOT.
Loaned TR6 rims would be good Tim, I'll give you a bell when I get back. I'll keep looking, ultimately I do like t hose MLs and 16s would be OK - whether 17s will fit or not I don't know - the car's got Stag underpinnings but I'm not that knowledgeable on the critical dimensions so I won't be making any decisions straight away.

I'd had a few beers, it was late, I'm halfway round the world, bored and I have a computer - yes eBay strikes again and I've bought a set of TR6 rims for the interim. Now what size tyres should I fit - remember I'm going cheap and cheerful. The intention is to stick those on to get mobile, run around it and shake down any issues whilst considering a more permanent wheel and tyre choice - I do like those Compomotive MLs :-)

J

There is (was) a guy on the TRR forum practically giving away a set of Gemini alloys.

15 * 6's

I sent an email to the midlands collector of that syle of alloy.

Also.... 195/55-15. you could try 205/55-15 or 205/65-15. We tried the last size, bit too big. Nice common sizes, so nice and cheap.

Cheers

Colin

Archived