New Wheels on the Stag - Opinions Please?

mikeyb

thanks for the positive comments so far - I must admit, I thought that they would look great on the PI but was unsure if they would look ok on the Stag, but now fitted I really like em!    A pain to clean though!  

I'll try them on the PI in a week or so.  Reckon they would look stunning on a Mk 1 too!

mikeyb wrote:
(don't worry Darren, they're not your ones!)

Are you sure?  ;D

They do look good though, although I think they'll look better on a dark blue Stag ;)

Are there any problems with clearance on the rear wheel arch, it looks like it might be a bit close in the top pic?

Reckon they would suit a darker colour really well!

Clearance is actually tighter on the n/s due to the fact that I managed to get the whole rear subframe/diff assembly 1-2cm closer to that side when I refitted it all a couple of years ago.  Dont forget that as the suspension is compressed, the top of the wheel tucks inwards.  Having bounced the rear up and down it looks like it will be ok on the offside but may be close on the n/s.   I have got stiff springs as well though!  

Could be more of an issue on the PI?

I've just worked out that they are a pain to clean  :-(

Not sure I like them.... I think they look a little big.
What size tyres are they? Maybe it would look right if it sat a little lower but as you've said clearance would be an issue then.

Look nice on a mk1 2000 in a nice dark colour....perhaps blue? ;D

You could save them for your mk1 pi?

131 wrote:
I prefer the steel wheels and trims for Mk1s. I am missing a spare on mine!! Anyone got one? Also I could do with another wheel trim or two! ;)

I'm with you Charles, in fact I'm trying to gather these bits together to fit on the pi. It came with 'S' alloys when I bought it as did the estate(obviously!), and they aren't my favourite wheels in all honesty.
The pi is now on my MOMOs and it looks better already, what a shame that tyre manufacturers don't make 185/13s like they used to, I would still prefer the pi with it's original Rostyle trims.

Colin.

I don't think the cosmics are the worst wheels I have seen on a Stag though, perhaps a little lowering would make them look better........don't be tempted to paint the black bits in body colour though, and I don't think they would look any good on the pi, big saloons do not seem to wear wheels in the same way as Stags, must be to do with the contrasting wheel arch shapes.(IMHO!)

Infact for two cars that are so similar visually and with as many common or interchangeable parts, it's amazing how different they are!
The stance of a lowered saloon (or estate) is very different to that of a Stag, with the space around the wheels and wheelarch clearance, width wise, being more akin to a modern car than a Stag's is.
The Stag has coke bottle hips, which may have something to do with it, and when viewed from the rear is not slab sided like a saloon, but has a more pronounced roundness.
I also believe that if you think of the colours used with the Stag, what looks good would not automatically look good on a saloon and vise-versa.

Colin.

Archived