Avon Safety Wheels...nice or nasty?

uksnatcher

Whilst picking up a bumper i bought of ebay, and a lovely long drive up to Cumbria, i was offered some wheels that came off a spitfire that he had from his gaggle of classic cars.
Didnt take them, he wanted 50 quid for them, not my taste, need cleaning up new tyres etc but never seen them before but complete set of 4 with caps so thought i would take a couple of pics and ask the question on the club forum.

They are 13" 5.5J AVON SAFETY WHEELS Made in Belgium,...and came off a spitfire.

Only info i can find is fitted on Marina's, Spitfires, Dollys etc in the 70's, designed so tyre doesnt fall off when flat.

What do you think, ugly and nasty or beautiful unique classsic period wheels that need saving?

uksnatcher wrote:
Whilst picking up a bumper i bought of ebay, and a lovely long drive up to Cumbria, i was offered some wheels that came off a spitfire that he had from his gaggle of classic cars.
Didnt take them, he wanted 50 quid for them, not my taste, need cleaning up new tyres etc but never seen them before but complete set of 4 with caps so thought i would take a couple of pics and ask the question on the club forum.

They are 13" 5.5J AVON SAFETY WHEELS Made in Belgium,...and came off a spitfire.

Only info i can find is fitted on Marina's, Spitfires, Dollys etc in the 70's, designed so tyre doesnt fall off when flat.

What do you think, ugly and nasty or beautiful unique classsic period wheels that need saving?

£50 I would have them for £40 are classsic period wheels and when grit blasted and re sprayed in stain black they will look very nice so see if he will take £40 and I will have them.
Cheers Hugh

Can soon make em look better, off into the shed, and machine the flutes off, re paint, and you got a set of wheels that not many have.
and they 4 spoke too,  very few cars on 4 spokes.
go for it Hughbert. :) :) :)

Archived