patkatejake

AJ I have Revolution 13 6J and kept my existing studs and used the Sleeved nuts supplied. I have not had a problem. I don't see how you could use Revolutions with those huge (diameter) studs unless you get the wheels remachined to accept different (larger) Sleeved nuts. I may have missed something in all this.  ::)

neil

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=davesideways link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1176404924,s=25 date=1180442036]REALLY important on the back hubs to chamfer the heads or you'll rip the brake cylinders out and wangle off the springs on the shoes...

What 10mins with a bench grinder? [/quote]

What's actually needed on the chamfering front - is it just making the inner face a 45 (or whatever it is) degree angle so they sit into the hub, or is it grinding down at 45 degrees until it's just head - 45 degree chamfer - stud?

Code:
<br>  _____            <br>  \    /<br>   |   |<br>   |   |<br>

OR
Code:
<br>  _____<br>  |     |<br>   \    /<br>   |    |<br>

If you get what I mean?

(that really didn't work very well :))

I'm sure you can buy studs with the correct countersunk head.

Neil, if you're Revolution wheels have 11/16" dia holes you can get wheel nuts to fit for 3/8" 7/16" & M12 studs. If they have 9/16" holes then you're stuffed! (mine have 9/16")

I'm having difficulty getting these studs to seat squarely, which it particularly important with Revolutions as they rely on the studs being perfectly lined up so you can get the sleeve nuts in.

Would be nice to have some studs which just tap in without modification - can you get these M12 Freelander studs anywhere online?

Just started the upgrade to M12's on mine tonight after this happenend

I managed to get my hands on a set of Rover 100 studs and front MGF studs (shown on the right)

After 10 mins I found myself stumped on the rear.. I am assuming I need to remove the rear hub in order to get the M12 studs in ? In which case do I need to use a pulling tool like this to get the hub off ? I've managed to get the nut off.

or should i get one of these

Thanks in advance

A trick to avoid removing the hub is to drill a hole in the back plate to pass the studs through. One hole will do as you can rotate the hub.

That puller probably wont be strong enough, you would need to borrow a proper one.

What wheels were you running?

You won't get the hub of using that puller, you need the original stud mounting type. The catch here is you need a full complement of studs in place to use the appropriate puller. Original type studs can be temporarily fitted with the backplate in place, can they not?
Cheers,
Bill.

The original studs will go in and out without the need to remove the hub unfortunatley 3 of mine have snapped off :( are you refering to the puller I added to my post after your response ?

Liking your plan CharlieB I was wondering whether to do that and bung a grommit in the back afterwards...Is there enough space to drill from behind ?  I am runnung MGF wheels BTW

[quote by=JP link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1176404924,s=39 date=1180478934]The original studs will go in and out without the need to remove the hub unfortunatley 3 of mine have snapped off :( are you refering to the puller I added to my post after your response ?
[/quote]

The picture of the puller was there when I first saw the post. The puller pictured will either break, or it will bend the hub.
Cheers,
Bill.

[quote by=CharlieB link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1176404924,s=46 date=1180514774]You need one of these, but I'm sure you could borrow one or get someone to do it for you for little money.
http://www.tssc2.org.uk/catalog.asp?category=200204231525116761613927[/quote]

You don't need to spend anywhere near that amount to get the proper tool (no names no pack drill!). Other traders sell the proper tool cheaper than that to, blah, blah...

I never though fitting studs could be such a pain! It seem the sleeve nuts are too long, so will hit the shank of the stud before clamping the wheel, but the studs are so long that they reach the end of the sleeve nut before then anyway!  ::)

[quote by=AJ.Lintern link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1176404924,s=51 date=1180536866]I never though fitting studs could be such a pain! It seem the sleeve nuts are too long, so will hit the shank of the stud before clamping the wheel, but the studs are so long that they reach the end of the sleeve nut before then anyway!  ::)[/quote]

I feared that might be the case.. is that why someone mentioned earlier in the thread about using a spacer  :-/

Archived