patkatejake

Yes possibly. But I don't want to space my wheels out any further, they were already on the limit with the previous wheels. I've now ordered some new sleeve nuts - I think they are slightly shorter and the ones I've got are pretty crappy anyway.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK went for the drill a hole in the back plate option and worked a treat :)

Foolishly on the second one though I think I must have been a little heavy handed putting the drum back on with my mallet as when I put the wheel back on and was doing the nuts up 1 of them started spinning !! what I think must have happened is, in my excitement of banging the drum back on I pushed the stud back in a little ! now I can't get the wheel nut off as it spins ! I tried putting a lever behind the wheel and undoing but no joy ! any other ideas ?

Also does anyone know what size die a M12 rover stud is ? as I could do with re-threading the first part of the thread as where I knocked the studs out I damaged the first patt of the thread on most of the studs :( .. I tried a standard M12 die  but these seem to have a finer thread :(

On a positive note at least the first hub I did worked a treat :D

Thanks in advance for any advice

Yes I wondered about that! My drums usually pull off and push back on without any force at most a little persuasion with a flat blade screwdriver twisted behind the drum edge. Take the screws out twist screwdriver and the drum usually just pulls off without any fuss. Putting it back on was also pretty easy. Line up the studs with the holes push and wriggle. Put screws in. Put wheel on and drive!

I did manage to loosen inadvertently one of the studs having knocked it out of the hub I pulled it back in and tightened the nut with wheel in place pulling the stud back into place.

neil

It was late and I was getting impatient.. and soft head mallet was within reach ! I guess having removed the shoes they needed a little persuasion to sit in the right place..

Thinking about it... getting to the rear of the stud through the hole might be a bit difficult as the shoes will be in the way !

Bigger lever and extra pair of hands required me thinks.

I think neil had it. Loosen the other nuts off, and knock the wheel away from the hub. May take a bit of ingenuity, but that should pull the stud into its seating, at least enough to tigten the nut up to get it in nice and tight

• 3 weeks later...

So I eventually managed to remove my wheel.. ended up drilling the offending stud out !!
Anyway I put another stud in with a bit of loctite this time gently place the drum on (no mallet involved) then put the wheel on did up wheel nuts all good soo far then dropped the car on the floor and went round with the torque and doh ! the same stud started turning again all other were fine !! I assume I must have enlarged the stud hole in my efforts to remove it last time..grrrr.

What to do !! other than try and remove the god darn wheel again do I replace the hub which sounds like a game to remove without splashing out 80 squid on a hub puller or weld the stud in !

Any other ideas welcome.

Nothings ever simple !

hub puller should not cost you £80.00.  check this out http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hub-Puller-for-Triumph-cars_W0QQitemZ190123830569QQihZ009QQcategoryZ27383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are regularly available on Bay new.  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-HUB-PULLER-SPITFIRE-GT6-VITESSE-HERALD_W0QQitemZ320125688835QQihZ011QQcategoryZ27383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Archived