Brake and clutch master cylinder restoration

timireson

hi all.
ive just stripped my original girling clutch and brake master cylinders. They need to be re-sleeved as there are some damage/corrosion to the bores.
I have two questions:
1) I seem to have two brake masters, one 5/8th and the other 0.70 (written on the sides) am I right in thinking the 0.7 would be the better to get resleeved as its a bigger bore and hence more fluid shifted for the same movement?? or am I just being stupid!!

2) can anyone recommend a good place to get the work done and what sort of price is reasonable, so far ive been quited £41.5 + Vat for just the resleeving work or £53 fully rebuilt ready to back on the car, is this a fair price?? it was a bit more than I was expecting, but then again it usually is!!

thanks tim.  8)

Hello, talk to Past Parts, Bury St Edmund, I recently purchased an original cast iron clutch slave cylinder from them, they will also re sleeve parts. Very knowledgeable I thought. No other links other than I have used them. Tel 01284.   750729.

Yes 0.7 is for GT6 1,2 and early mk3. Late mk3 (Feb 73 onward) are 0.75 which are no longer available.

I may have to replace my 0.75  with a 0.7. I'm told this will increase pedal travel by about an inch.

5/8" is 0.625 So by rough rule of thumb..........If 0.05 reduction increase travel by an inch, 0.075 increases travel 1.5 inches?

9077 wrote:
5/8" is 0.625 So by rough rule of thumb..........If 0.05 reduction increase travel by an inch, 0.075 increases travel 1.5 inches?

No, because it's the area, not the diameter, that matters. So the correct rule is that going from 0.7 to 0.625 will increase the travel by a factor of (.7/.625)^2 = 1.25

This means you'd only get 1.5 inches extra travel if your existing travel is 6 inches.