Packing an oil pump?

Alex

I'm currently in the process of putting together an engine for my spitfire.....
Ok so some people are already aware of this as I keep pestering them  :B
I've assembled the reground crank, fitted the pistons and rings I've spent an age cleaning everything!
The next job is to fit the oil pump,so I believe the ideal is pack it with Vaseline?
Big question.....how much?
I need to fit the strainer/ pickup but should I use thread lock to stop it coming off or just heave the nut nice n tight?

It'll be a while till it goes in as I need to pull the current engine out so I can use the head and cam.

Thanks
Alex

Strainer - I use a bit of threadlock and then heave the nut nice and tight.
Pump - I don't pack it as such, just use plenty of vaseline as assembly lube when I put it together.

Also, before first start, I spin the oil pump up with an electric drill until I get pressure.  Then re-fit drive gear, dizzy etc and spin over on the starter with the plugs out until I get oil pressure (pretty quick), then plugs in and fire-up.....  I have been accused of paranoia.....

Nick

I tried that, Nick, and it works (Rememnber anyone else you need a drill that runs in reverse!)
But it took me so long thereafter to fit the dizzy, time it and so on, that I had to wonder how much oil rmeianed in the engine, and so how much it was worth.
Plugs out, jump leads from the battery to the modern, turn it over without plugs in until pressure appears, replace plugs, and go for it!   Don't rev the starter for too long at one go. Touch the starter cable now and then -if its too hot to touch - go and have a coffee!

JOhn
PS if necessary, take out the oil pressure relief valve and squirt some oil into the hole to prime the pump.  J.

I don't think it's paranoia at all Nick. Each oil and filter change (every 3,000 miles without fail) I remove plugs and turn engine over on the starter until good oil pressure registered ( ~50psi), check for leaks then replace plugs, fire up and check again for leaks. (I know there are always leaks from a TR, I mean I look for leaks from the filter!)

Tim

I was going to suggest a different option based on Tim's idea.

The faff of refitting the dizzy etc, can be overcome easily.

Refit everything, then remove the pressure relief valve. If you get a good quality oil pump can, you can get a decent sort of seal between the nozzle and the block. Then keep pumping oil in. This will fill the pump and also start to pressurise the system. You probably won't get oil coming out of the rocker, but certainly the bearings.

Then you can spin it on the starter and you will get immediate oil pressure.

tim_hunt wrote:
I don't think it's paranoia at all Nick. Each oil and filter change (every 3,000 miles without fail) I remove plugs and turn engine over on the starter until good oil pressure registered ( ~50psi), check for leaks then replace plugs, fire up and check again for leaks. (I know there are always leaks from a TR, I mean I look for leaks from the filter!)

Tim

Tim I presume you will have had the engine running before draining the oil.  

I always run the engine for at least 10 minutes or do the change after going out for a drive to get the engine warm, the oil circulated through bearings etc., and also any residual loose sludge stirred up and into suspension in the old oil.  Then drain thoroughly - leave the sump plug out and go away for ten or fifteen minutes to allow the oil to drain down through the engine and for the sump to clear.

Do the oil and filter change remembering to put a little oil on the new rubber filter seat to help it bed in.  Plugs out and spin the engine over until filter filled and oil pressure up, plugs back in, and fire up.

If you don't have an oil pressure gauge then spin it over until the oil warning light goes out - not really up to the correct pressure but you know the filter will be filled and oil circulated.

If you have run the engine before the change there will be plenty of residual oil in the bearings for the initial spin over before firing up.

• 3 weeks later...