iggy

Hi the original engine in my 1972 mk2 2500pi was siezed when the previous owner aquired the the car and he replace it with another engine the number of this engine is MG21110HE.ive removed the camshaft which has number 308778 on it but this number definitly doesnt look factory stamped more like its been done with a hand held scribeing machine, it also has a wide grove on the end, any idea what model triumph this engine and cam came from? thanks

Ok thanks for the replies guys. another question. when i bought the car it had a 2000cc inlet manifold and carbs fitted by the previuos owner 🙁 he stripped out pi system. i already had a 2500s inlet manifold and hs6 carbs plus a 2500s head which i had skimmed downt to give a 9 to 1 compression ratio plus a camshaft from chris witor similar to the 308778 but with inlet lift increased from 232 to 261 also a  witor stainless six branch and big bore exhaust system all this is fitted to the engine now. the question is what would the car run like if i just removed the carbs and fitted a triumph 132bhp or 150bhp pi system to it but left the S cylinder head and 261 inlet lift camshaft fitted?

To add to the above, when I rebuilt the engine in my PI I re-used the 308778 cam, did some porting on the head and fitted a standard TR6 twin downpipe manifold.  Also balanced with some significant lightening of the flywheel.

That engine made 148 bhp on the rolling road and >160lb/ft torque from 1800 to 5200 rpm. It also had electronic engine management (Megasquirt) controlling fuel and sparks, but using the PI throttle bodies.  Fairly rapid car.

No reason why similar power figures should not be available from PI, though you might not get the 35 mpg average made possible by the electronics.

Nick

Yes I agree with the comments Nick has made.

One point though is that it sounds as though you have had your 308778 cam reground to give the extra lift.  A word of caution because I had one of these on Woodie (2.5S engine on SUs and spec similar to yours) and it went tits up after about 8,000 miles taking out 5 lobes and cam followers in doing so!

I have since fitted a s/h TR5 cam ground from a blank (4,000 mile and at a good price) and just the other day got the engine running again - seems fine 🙂.  Chris Witor tells me that he is only really bothering with cams ground from a blank now - partly because good re-usable cams are becoming almost impossible to find, though I wonder if it is because there have been problems with reground cams.

Once I have fitted one of my period Yazaki rev counters and oil pressure gauge I will run the cam in properly then get it over to my friend and CT member Chris Rabbets in Stroud to set everything up on his rolling road.

MUT

Nick thanks for information about your pi engine sounds good with all that torque available, the fuel consumpsions good to, ive got the pi throttle bodies in my garage but unfortunatly im not capapable of fitting the engine management system, but i could handle bolting on the original pi set up🙂

Ted good to here your engines running well,i didnt have my 308778 cam reground, i bought my camshaft direct From Chris witor about 18 months to 2 years ago not an exchange cam ive still got the 308778 cam, the cam i bought is discribed on chris witors web site as a reprofiled cam similar to the 308778 hope its been made from a blank. what sort of noise does a cam make if its wearing out?, your friend Chris Rabbets i presume he runs a buisness tuning old cars on his rolling road? im only 30 to 45mins from stroud in kent could you pm me his phone number incase i ever need to get my engine set up thanks

Chris' business is in Alpine Renault's - Alpine in Stroud - and his rolling road is for use with that work.  However he is also a Triumph big six enthusiast, he bought my 'old' white PI saloon off me and really has made it very nice.

Putting Woodie on his rolling road is more as a 'favour' to me (not expecting freebie) because we are friends and he worked with me on London-Sydney50.

We will be at the drivers meeting with our Triumphs but after the bits that are specific to the 2018 RBRR, having done two previous drivers meetings we are going to try to get away to attend a talk etc. being organised by the MGCC at Abingdon about the 1968 London to Sydney.  A sort of follow up to London-Sydney50.

MUT