Clattering noise from Gt6 engine

Rubce

Evening all

Started up the gt6 for the trip to work this morning and as I brought it out of the garage I heard a horrible noise   from the engine bay. Didn't have time to investigate so put it back into the garage.

Been out this evening to take a look. It starts and ticks over fine and shows good oil pressure. However there is a horrible noise coming from the rear of the engine close to the distributor and fuel pump. It sounds metallic and clattering. The noise does not appear to change with engine speed.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Bruce

Starter motor on ring-gear?
On my toledo I had the camshaft sprocket come loose (PO hadn't used locktabs) and it took ages to find the clatter. I was convinced it was coming from the dizzy area, but the noise must have travelled.

However, not changing with engine speed is perplexing

The noise does not appear to change with engine speed.

just seen this bit above, missed it befoer.

this is strange then, as any thing we all said will affect noise, its gotta, as engine revs up, so noise will get louder,moer frequent.

because of this, ill admit am stumped  

git at it ,an enlight,n Me

M

Hi All

Thanks for all the different suggestions.

Starter motor bolts and engine to gearbox bolts all appear tight (torque marks all still line up)
Pressing the clutch pedal whilst the engine is running makes no different
All the manifolds appear tight (torque marks all still line up)
Rocker cover off and all valve springs appear fine as the engine ticked over
Small screw on the rocker shaft is secure

The noise has reduced further from when I first heard it!

My next plan is to drop the oil and borrow an endoscope from work and stick it into the sump via the oil drain plug to see if anything looks unusual in there. Oil pick up mesh dropped off perhaps? I will also pop the endoscope into the bellhousing via the actuator lever slot to see if anything is rattling around in there.

I also need to get into the pit and check out that the exhaust is not touching the underside.

Generally I am puzzled(think)(think)(think)

Regards

Bruce