sparkytph

Quoted from sparkytph
Hi
Thinking about engine swaps has any one fitted a mazda mx 5 engine and gearbox to a spitfire any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Personally..... with no  malice/animosity ....I dont understand the reasoning for fitting `modern` engines to such cars(sorry to mates)
Then the question will come back "Why does my diff keep blowing"  eg putting greater torque on an older unit from a modern engine
or
I need better brakes because of increased power/torque/speed etc
I can understand exchanging Triumph for Triumph or similar
You may as well just buy a modern eg Mazda
Just have the best of both worlds ...we have MX5 and Subaru.....but two out of three Triumphs are as near as original  (think)(dizzy)

+1... although in my case the comment reads: "then the question will come back: why?"
I can understand people doing it to see if it can be done, or as an oddity, but too many are advocating it as the only way to make Triumphs last into the future and keep up with modern traffic... it's a bit like putting a petrol engine into a steam engine and then asking "Do you like my steam engine?"

Mk3 and onwards keep up with modern traffic as standard.

However, if you have a Spitfire with a broken or worn engine, it's pretty easy really - costs at least £ 800 to rebuild a 4 pot Triumph engine to a decent standard, more if you want a bit of extra go.  MX5 lump complete with the rest of car attached (including a nice 5 speed gearbox) can be had for alot less, so you can have a better result for less money - though more effort for sure.  The MX 5 engine (for example) is not so power as to cause huge problems with the diff etc.

Does probably limit the resale value of the car down the line, but should be possible to do the conversion in a reversible manner.

Your car your choice.....

Nick

Got a  Mk4 Spitfire and two 2500's. All standard (pardon the pun) I love them all, they go well for what they are. If I feel like a bit more spirited driving I take out my BMW 318 ti.
Nothing too expensive in my fleet and a lot cheaper and probably better than repowering.(dance)
Tony.

Quoted from Nick Jones

Does probably limit the resale value of the car down the line, but should be possible to do the conversion in a reversible manner.

Your car your choice.....

Nick

Do agree everyone to their own
However, Nick....thats the point
If you get a young un wanting to buy a cheap deal and maybe insurance, then change engines etc then that detracts people  from buying the car when they have got fed up of it(unless the old engine is kept when reselling)
So you either get a classic buyer deterred from buying the said car, and eventually it could be scrapped if no interest in a sale
Lots of hidden agendas in people buying Triumphs and wanting to convert
Some like to do engineering challenges like this  

I'm all for engine swaps (and general modification). I do like a nice original car, but it's the engineering and ingenuity that interests me. Whether that's fitting a non-standard engine or improving upon a standard one.

Personally, I rather like the notion of 'keeping it in the family' engine-swap-wise, and will go out of my way to do that. For instance, I've passed by a BMW M52, a Ford Zetec and an MX-5 engine to put a Triumph 2.5 PI into my Spit. I've also got plans to put an 1850 Slant 4 into a Spitfire and a Rover 2600 I6 into a TR6 (creating the OHC TR6 they should have made to fight the 240Z in the US). If I want a modern I4, I'd probably go the hard way and get a K-Series (or try and fit the Saab slant-4 which is a development upon the Triumph slant 4).

But, it's your car and you're absolutely free to do with it as you wish MX-5 engined Spits can be bloody quick, economical and reliable (just like Triumph OHC ones). Just make sure you sell your original engine to someone who needs one. It is a limited supply after all...

Swap-wise, MX-5 engines can be made to run nicely on carbs if you want to go that way which might be simpler than plumbing in the whole injection system. I expect you'll need a different exhaust manifold although I'm not 100% sure. You might be able to use the original one. The 1600 MX-5 engine weighs 123kg which is 2kg lighter than the Triumph OHC if you care about weight distribution, but I'd anticipate more of the weight being higher up with the DOHC layout. The 1800s weigh 131kg.

If you're going carbs then you'll need an electric fuel pump. Facet Redtops I've heard are good. If you're going injection then you'll probably need a swirl pot so you don't get fuel starvation in corners (stock injected cars tend to have one built into the tank but Spitfires don't).

With the added power of an MX-5 engine it's probably a good idea to upgrade to GT6 brakes, although I've heard standard Spitfire brakes with uprated pads are rather good so maybe not necessary.

Other considerations from the top of my head would be getting the right pipes to plumb the engine to the radiator, sorting out a throttle linkage, getting a propshaft made up to connect the MX-5 'box to the Triumph diff, sorting engine and gearbox mounts, sorting an electric fan as MX-5s don't have a crank-mounted one, connecting the Triumph clutch master to the Mazda clutch slave, mating whatever exhaust manifold you need to the rest of the exhaust system and if it's a Mk3 or earlier probably getting a swing spring at least to sort the rear end.