New engine - How hot....Too hot..??

stevegt6

Evening - OK, everything seems to be progressing towards the MOT (which is nice)...but a question about temps...

Fully rebuilt engine, bottom to top, all bits well oiled on assumbly etc.. and engine turned regular (over 12 months) before wiring in etc to fire up.

Engine runs, but does need timing proper and carbs tuning better etc...(just a bit lumpy) - But it does run what i think is very hot and quite quick to get there. Gets to 1/2 way on temp gauge in under 10 mins (stationary, as not road legal yet....no widscreen for one) elec fan kicks in just a smidge past 1/2 and drops temp a little.

Is is because engine still a bit 'tight'...?

Everything around engine get super hot too.... I know out on road there will be a forced cooling, so to speak - Am i over worrying...???

Cheers
S

Sound ok to me, if the fan kicks in and the temp drops then that's  working !
10 min ticking over to get up to temp is ok.
If you was driving for 10 mins you would have,as you said cool air flowing through the rad and over the engine but I bet it would still reach normal temp within 10 min. In a modern car it only takes a couple of mins and the heater is blowing out warm !

Maybe its because its been that long since used one of these (2 spitfires and another GT6 previously....over decade ago)....the only other bonnet i really go under is my 110 - dont bother with the Alfa as cant see anything under there anyway..!!

Think i will relocate coil though, up onto bulkhead - not sure why i didnt do that to start with...

S

Yep, sounds OK. My GT6 tends to run at about 2/3 way up the temerature gause when fully warm. The fan kicks in about 1/8 inch before the red and cuts out again when it's back down to 2/3 temerature. On a hot summers day it's fine when stuck in a traffic jam. It does tend to struggle a bit in keeping the temperature down in town traffic (ie 20 - 30mph) on a hot day though although it doesn't boil over but is fine on the open road or motorway.

I don't understand why people fret so much about engine temperature, especially with a gauge that has no markings! "--- way on the gauge" doesn't really mean anything, because every gauge and sender reads differently. Two Triumphs might both run at 82c, but one may have a gauge that reads 1/4, the other 3/4 full.

I have this funny picture in my head of people spending hundreds on cooling system upgrades because the engine temperature climbs from 82c to 85c, yet they shit themselves because the swing of the temp needle makes this look really dramatic.

Seriously though, stability in temperature is probably more important for a carbureted car than the actual temperature itself, but remember that engines need to run hot to run efficiently. If your engine temperatures vary a lot, then that might be a problem as it can be hard to keep it in tune, but as long as it's got at least an 82c (88c even better) thermostat in that works properly, and stays around the same temp, it's fine.

Temp is stable - well, same points on the gauge at least when stat (88) opens and will just sit there going up to the 'next marking' on gauge...fan kicks and drops back to centre/halfway mark ans so on....

For my info, i will borrow friends temp reader - at least then will have clearer idea of the 'actual' temps

Its been a while since played with a real engine - last decade has been land rover diesels where your toolbox consists of 4 spanners, a hammer, bigger hammer, big bar, bigger bar and angle grinder...lol and nothing was ever 'hot'

At least i know the 6's heater will be like toast in winter :)

It would appear things are pretty normal then :)

Thanks for replies