SteveSpit

The spit (b@stard as it's now known) was due it's mot this morning. I've been ticking it over and running it around the block without issue since Friday. Started up last night great, so left it on charge overnight. This morning, it fired up, got me to the end of the road and died. It sounded like a Volkswagen beetle. I checked the dizzy, and leads all were fine, checked the fuel (gauge isn't true) fine. It finally started again and got me another hundred yards, coughing, spluttering and back firing the became totally unresponsive to the throttle (engine still firing). As I was going to be late for work, it was abandoned where it died.

I've just gone back to it and it has again fired up, driven the distance back home (coughing and spluttering) and appearing to struggle under load.

So it's rested up in the garage, I've checked the leads and all appear to give good spark, pulled the plugs this morning and nothing untoward there. Popped the rocker cover off and everything is moving as it should be, but still sounds like it's dropped a cylinder (bug like). I did notice small amounts of smoke eminating from the push rod port (second in from the windscreen).

Having had a similar issue when I first purchased the car (couldn't get past 3000rpm) I also checked the rubber fuel hoses for cracks and/or splits, but nothing.

So guys, the question is, where should/what I be looking at?

The only other thing of note is that I mistakenly left the ignition on the other night after pulling it out of the garage to renew the rear lines. It was in the second position for about an hour/hour and a half (burnt out coil?).

Have you checked the rotor arm? I had a similar problem with mine recently, I  changed everything except the rotor arm as it quite new then borrowed a decent red rotor arm from a friends car and solved the problem.  There's so many crap rotor arms on the market at present.