Davemate

My MK1 has the engine that has the "bumps" on the head for the push rods.
It also has the breather on the side of the engine.
Can I fit a spin on oil filter conversion thing, I have been told by someone that if I want fit the conversion I'll have to loose the breathing system and fit one of the "rocker cover ones"

To me it looks like it would fit as the breather goes around the current filter
Any thoughts ?

The early type of engine and cast breather.

From what I remember with my early saloon was that I simply shoved the conversion plate on with no problems - and that was with the oil filter take off - but had to do some fiddling with position of the filter itself.

Just been out to check on the car to make sure I had not changed the breather to the later type - removing the car cover and avoiding the dollops of ice from last years frost.  Needless to say I had already removed it at the start of the engine bay restoration 15 years ago and would have to ferret around in the Triumph store shed to find which one was there!

However I am pretty sure that I can say (after all this rambling) yes it will fit with a bit of fiddling.

Ted

391 wrote:
Not sure what you mean Dave. Can you stick a pic up of the breather?

Sorry for the late reply
This is what I have

I have been told that I may have to remove the breather system to get the spin on filter conversion to fit.
To me it's just a simple swap as the breather seems to go around the filter and with the spin on thing the new filter would just hang down and none of the breather system is below the old filter housing.

As I said ... If goes straight on with no mods required . Also to note is the early Mk1 engine with the breather on the side is the " Wide Bearing small diameter crank " variety .. The sweetest engine of all the 6 cylinder range .... Revs well too especially with a PI cam installed ( 308778 )

DJB_Harvey wrote:
As I said ... If goes straight on with no mods required . Also to note is the early Mk1 engine with the breather on the side is the " Wide Bearing small diameter crank " variety .. The sweetest engine of all the 6 cylinder range .... Revs well too especially with a PI cam installed ( 308778 )

Yes it does, got the early engine with the PI cam and on the Rev scale of 0 to bonkers its always well beyond bonkers. They also maintain superb oil pressure.

As mentioned earlier in the post, no mods required although I have to admit to shortening the breather pipe on my engine, not that it didn't fit but just for ease of access to the oil pressure pipe I fitted and the oil cooler pipes.

You might want to swap out the early rocker cover and breather cap for a later rocker and sealed cap, you can then lead the pipe off the rocker to a catch tank or to atmos underneath the car. Even in fine fettle you do get a little bit of the smell of crank case gases with the early breather cap... although some people seem to like that sort of thing, if you want to give up smoking you could always get a fix in the car now and again.

Cheers
Dazzer

DJB_Harvey wrote:

does the same apply to GT6 Mk1 engines?  Did the cranks differ on them also, if so when?

MikeyB wrote:

does the same apply to GT6 Mk1 engines?  Did the cranks differ on them also, if so when?

Yes I think it was the first 5000 Gt6 MkI's, I suspect they made them a real fun car to drive. I remember being impressed with my first MkI 2000 with the early engine.

This was an E reg 1967. One of the change over cars, facelift, but still with the upright spare wheel.

Also to note is there are 2 different cam followers for these engines , early .687"?? ( if my memorys correct !) and .800" ( Mk2 type ) ...  Not sure if you can bore the early small follower type out to the common .800" follower .
I think " Early " GT6& Vitesse blocks have a different crank ( bearings are the same though )

thescrapman wrote:
Parts book says upto KC5000E and from KC5001E so you may be OK.

Good thing is Vandervell bearings are still available and relatively cheap!

Time to go and raid that spare engine down the barn for a camshaft........

oh, and you need to update your signature!

So that means they're available for my engine (#349 or summit)? Got a link?

1344 wrote:
Thanks chaps  :)

I was hoping to get some bits done to the car today and have a trip to Leicester tomorrow to get a tube bender and pipe notcher, but I got a text last night so I am now working today  :(
Not sure about tomorrow yet,one lives in hope  ;D

Do you need a hand getting this Dave?...............

Only we travelling down M1 tomorrow to pick up a MK2 PI from Bucks.

Lee