Sprint engine advice/save Raider's RBRR entry

Raider

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cheers Guys
the engines had new bolts and spring washers throughout and every hole has been cleaned out. only had to helicoil one hole and that is for the fan bracket to the front.

the head may not be the one i use in the end have another couple to choose from and the sump has been painted too ( again not on the engine yet as we have to keep moving it)

• 2 weeks later...

Well.... We DNF'd the Bullnose, with a lack of oil pressure again! ::) Post mortem revealed a very worn oil pump as the most likely culprit, but also changed the bottom end shells at the same time.. Since then we've done the Pheasant Plucker rally (about 2 weeks ago), which we finished (about time too!), and would have been 3rd o/a but for some very silly mistakes, which netted us 1hr20mins worth of penalties dropping us to 15th o/a :-/, which was annoying, but also gave hope too! Currently the TR's waiting for her MOT (tomorrow), before the next event.. On which note, the engine seems to still not be quite 'right'.. The engine spec is standard, plus K&N filters, tubular manifold & 'sports' exhaust system, I'm running TR7 carbs, with BAE needles which are allegedly the right start point, but it feels rich at low revs, but lean at high revs, now I'm hoping to play with the MOT man's gas analyser tomorrow to check, but what would other people think??  Basically it feels quite 'flat' and doesn't pick up as I seem to recall my old Sprint doing..

Always difficult to judge an engine from a written rapport  ...
A standard Sprint engine should produce somewhere between 135 and 140bhp in a TR7.
My TR7 DHC has an 8v engine developing approx the same power figures (well it did long ago ::) ) That engine runs twin HS6 (stock TR7) with BDR needles. They are leaner at lower revs and richer at high revs compared to the BAE you are using.
Hope this is off any help.

p.s. to get the best out of the engine I think it's best to set the car up on a rolling road. Unless you have unlimited access to a large stock off SU needles  ;D

That's a fair comment Theo, you never can tell without driving it!  ;)  Am thinking about booking it in for a rolling road session, but I need to think about my finances..  Might try having a play as I do have a fair old number of SU needles in the shed... will see how it looks on the gas analyser at the MOT station...

Just about got the handling set now...  ;D >>   
http://www.mandh-photography.co.uk/events/Pheasant06/pheasant-12.htm

Thanks..  :)  I've been called a lot worse Theo  ;)  I have seen those thanks Greeks, I've been busy playing on those (very useful!), now I just need to find out today if how I think it feels matches what is actually happening-MOT time this afternoon!  :o

Thanks! Your luck must have helped-It passed first time :o  ;DHaven't touched it since the last rally, other than to change  a flat tyre I found today as I was about to set off for the test...so I was quite surprised...sadly was a bit too pushed for time to play with the gas analyser and needles though..can't have everything I suppose!

Archived