Sprint engine advice/save Raider's RBRR entry

Raider

Well, we start on this today.

Actually, Rumpith and I collected the engine crane on Wednesday and I have removed the detachable "air scoop" on the bulkhead so i suppose the project has already started :-/

I'll check for signs of water leakage but I think it's OK - miond you, the engine hasn't been in a car for at least 3 years so who knows anyway :-/

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin, looking good.
As you are not working above a pit or on a ramp. Make sure you get the back of the car up as high as possible when you take out the engine and offcourse when you put the new engine in. And keep one man at the back of the engine crane at all times to act as a counterweight. A TR7 engine + 'box is heavy (I nearly had a crane with the engine + 'box in topple over quite some years ago)

See you at the Plough  ;)
Gr.T.

End of day 2 and the engine is in :)

A big thanks to my neighbour Andrew and his dad who helped get the old engine out, Toledoman who came over for the whole day and Rumpith for dropping by when he could :)

Boring updates will be on the blog later but I am knackered right now :o

But, one bit I am bothered about already - see the pic, a snapped off stud on the inlet side.

Advice? :-/

Soak it in penetrating oil to start with and leave it overnight. So now and then (in  between a beer this evening ;) ) give some light taps on it with a small hamer (square on it head). Tomorrow morning try getting at it with a good quality gripvice. See if you can make a temporary barrier from some kneadable stuff to make a sort off oilbath around the stud.

Other option is drilling it out carefully and put a helicoil in. If you're very good with a drill (or very lucky) you might not even need a helicoil, but don't count on it.

Just edit my first message, try to let it soak as long as possible before you attack it. So get at it if there's nothing else left to do. Use a self tightning vice-grip if available. Take your time for it ... lots of oil ... tapping (not to much beers) ... patience  ::)

Hi Martin - seems as though things are going reasonably to plan... I agree with Theo on the stud front - before going for the drilling it out option, try using an extractor (you can usually get kits from a motor factor if you don't have one) - drill a smalll hole in the middle of the stud, then bung the extractor in - works on a reverse thread so in theory should wind the stud out.

Also, what about getting two very thin nuts of the same thread and locking them on the end ???  If you have enough room, it may work...

Good luck ;) 

I'd be inclined to put a nut on the stud and the MIG weld the stud to the nut and then undo it.
Heating during welding should help free it as the aluminium head *should* expand a bit more than the steel stud.

Also, it often helps to very slightly tighten the thing before undoing it.

If trying an easyout, make sure that it is a proper one, with a thread pitch of about 5 TPI, not one of the cheap ones that you normally see that have a thread pitch of about 20TPI.

Car 78 is ready to go, I cleaned the windows this afternoon and filled the tank (86.9p/litre) :)

Archived