Sprint engine advice/save Raider's RBRR entry

Raider

Just had a phone call from Paul Darbyshire - he's on his way over to lend a hand.

That's just the kind of morale booster I needed - it's getting a long hard slog now.  The exhaust manifold wouldn't come off until I removed the starter motor fitted yesterday ::). That took some doing but now it's off and the Sprint version lodged in - anyway back to it :-/

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote:
It will not seal- it needs to be replaced- remember you are dealing with a gas!

I have just checked - there are 6 bolts holding on a TR7 inlet manifold but 10 on a Sprint  :o  Surely the other 9 have a good chance of sealing it ??)

Quote:
with the stud I would now grind it flat to the surface so you can get a nice centre punch on it,centre punch it and drill it out either heli coil it or if you are lucky you might get away with not damaging the threads

I can do that OK in due course as it is actually now "within" the thickness of the inlet manifold if you follow my meaning.

Anyway, Rumpith and I may take a quick look this evening to see if there's a spark at all.

An hour on the car this evening found the following.

There's definitely fuel through as a hose split on the front carb and petrol sprayed out ;D

There isn't a spark at the plugs tho :-/.

Tried a brand new plug, no difference.

Swapped leads and dizzy cap over from the spare TR7 Sprint - no difference

That surely means no power reaching the distributor - then I noticed the spare TR7 had different connections at the coil so I put BRP to the same configuration and

NO DIFFERENCE :'(

How are other TR7s/Sprints wired up at the coil?

If you put a plug directly on the end of a lead from the coil, does it spark as you flick the points?? Or if you have an optical transponder, as you block/clear the sensor.

Not sure how you would test a magnetic one.

Is the engine earth fitted??

Might be worth electrically connecting up the original (or a spare) dissy and spinning the shaft if you can, to watch multiple sparks.

Colin

The connections from the distributor to the coil should be the same for a TR7 / Sprint.
Very early Dolomite 1850's didn't have a ballast wire but a ballast resistor mounted to the coil . But even then you do get a spark.
Get the multimeter out and check for breakage in the wires and or bad connections(ouside AND inside the distributor). Wriggle the wires and connections while your measuring the resistance. If it remains constant it should be OK, otherwise  something's wrong.
What's inside the ditributor, points or something more sophisticated. Are the points functioning properly? Is the condensor OK? Are the connectors at the points OK?

I ran electronic ignition on the TR7 so I am unsure about the connections for the Sprint engine which is on points.

The LT lead from the dizzy for example, does it go to the -ve side of the coil?

What other wires connect to the coil? And what are the double wires into one female spade connector coming out of the loom in this area for? I thought this was the ballast resist wire and connected to the dizzy LT lead ??)

Right, lets make it simple.

Is the coil you are using a 6V (ballast resistor) coil or a 12V one ?
Do you have a 12V coil available ?

Best to do this test with a 12V coil, but a 6V one will do if necessary.

Take the coil you have and bolt it to the car body, ensuring a good earth.
Connect the HT lead between the coil and the dizzy.

Make sure that there are no connections to the two terminals on the coil.
Connect a wire from the +ve (12V) terminal of the battery to one of the terminals on the coil.
If they are marked +ve and -ve on the coil you are using, connect to the +ve, but it doesn't really matter for this experiment.
Connect another wire between the OTHER terminal on the coil and the points.

Crank the engine and you should get a spark.
If you don't, then there is an open circuit in one of the wires, the distributor or the coil.
Make sure the firing order is set correctly, and connect the HT leads to the sparkplugs.
If the timing is correct, the engine should start and run when you crank the engine.

If all this works, then you need to check out the old wiring in the car to find where the failure is.
There is no credible reason for this experiment to fail unless one of the components is faulty - it is the simplest of tests, it is what a theif would do to start your car.

You can't get a simpler ignition circuit - this is why an imobiliser is a waste of time on our old cars.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Ignition relay?

White/slate from the dizzy - no, there isn't one. There is a white/slate wire from the loom which is connected to the -ve side of the coil.

There's a wire from the condenser out of the dizzy tho which I think needs to go to the -ve side of the coil.

Anyway, off to work now but I'll try again tonight and also get a picture to post here.

Archived