Sprint engine advice/save Raider's RBRR entry

Raider

Ladies and gentlemen - you may be aware that the engine of BRP 285S is defunct (pressurising and blowing oil out the dipstick).

This means that with 3 weeks to go to the RBRR it is unlikely the car will make it :'(

I do have a spare £75 e-bay Sprint engine and have taken a look at the bottom end this afternoon.

I have never heard the engine run but it does turn freely.

Anyway, any thoughts on the attached picture - the bearing looks OK to me but I am a novice so any thoughts?

In addition, a crazy idea has come to me (Mrs Raider's idea actually).

Would anyone fancy joining me for an engine swap over on BRP next weekend ??) We would be happy to offer barbeques, beer and space to pitch tents in our garden. Could be a laugh or then it could be the worst idea ever ;D

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clutch is no problem - the engine is the same block.

Exhaust? I have a Sprint tubular manifold and the exhaust after that is the same as the TR7 sports exhaust I have fitted.

Carbs are a bit of an issue - they are the same but the inlet manifold is different (set further apart). Again I have one complete with carbs and linkage plus the reconditioned carbs I already have on the TR7 now so that should be fixable too.

No difference with regards to radiator etc tho may well need some hoses etc.

The thing is, if it's on then I'll have to hire an engine crane and get whatever other spares S&S advise this week.

Martin, I'd go for it! Only other thing to remember is swap the engine back plate if your sprint lump is from a dolly not a '7, otherwise the clutch slave cylinder won't fit... And the water transfer housing on the back of the head will need changing (if it's not already been in a '7), combined with the pump cover outlet and inlet manifold water connection (all 1/2")  ....Could be worth pulling the water pump too as the seals are likely to be weepy if it's sat for a while...

You'll need different carb needles if using the 7 carbs (prob easiest, as you know they work), S&S will be able to advise a start point..

Hoping my Sprint lump works-just about to set off the Bullnose Rally in a sec...Really hoping it stays cool-seems a bit marginal at the moment...

Good luck sorting it Martin! 

I was over at SnS today and very sorry to hear about BRP.  I wish I could join you next weekend to help as I've now done 4 engine swaps and could have helped out.  Not going to happen though  :(

If anyone is going up from the Midlands they could bring my hoist with them though - just a thought if you are short of one....

Good luck anyway!

Malcolm.

if you weren't so bloody far away i'd pop round tomorow[after finishing putting the gearbox back in the gt6]
Ther's got to be some guys oop north that will lend a hand 
If you do get spare car from Andy would happily get on train weekend before and bring it home and then deliver to start for you

Shagged ,he said it showed signs of being driven by a northern monkey.no ,but seriously,has been rebuilt ,picked it up this morning ...350mile round trip to get it .bolted it back in this afternoon..just got to fill up with oil refit prop and bits and pieces and she's agood un....hopefully will have both cars back on the road tomorow

Gents, thanks for all your advice and offers of help.

Andy has offered me the use of the Cairo Taxi Doug and I'll bear in mind your offer to get it to the start if I need it.

Malcolm, thanks for the offer of an engine crane - I'll see if I can get one a bit more local, if not I'll get  back to you

Quoted from Raider ...Would anyone fancy joining me for an engine swap over on BRP next weekend ??) We would be happy to offer barbeques, beer and space to pitch tents in our garden. Could be a laugh or then it could be the worst idea ever ;D

Does the offer include a return plane ticket to the NL  ??) ;D

Bearing looks OK , I'd go for it, follow Ellis' and  Paul's  advice

*edit* If you have any questions or need advise just ask them here or  p.m. me

I would just like to register my thanks to all who have offered to help.

I have had lots of advice on the forum and in e-mails, I have had the offer of 4 engine cranes, 3 cars if it doesn't all work out and I have at least one person to help me Friday, Saturday and Sunday :)

My helpers and I will be swapping the engines this weekend - all will be documented on my blog if I can remember so tune in for updates ;D

Martin

Seriously, any problems you hit over the weekend, give me a quick call, because we probably hit the same thing !!!

Another thing worth checking before you install the engine... the water pump... just below the water pump housing cover (on the block) there is a little slot. Check to see if there is any evidence of water leaks (rusty water stains - you know the type of thing) - it's a sign the seals have gone. If there are any signs, change it...

Good luck mate - hope we do see BRP on the Round Britain after all...

Archived