Sprint engine advice/save Raider's RBRR entry

Raider

You don't have to worry about the starter relay, the ballast wire or the split to the tacho. They're both somewhere in the loom, so not important here

There should be a white/slate LT wire + connector on the engine loom going to the  alternator. It should be somewhre near the dizzy. This should be connected to the LT-wire coming out of the dizzy (connected to points and condensor).

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes they mark up a erminal on the coil as CB this sands for contact/breaker ie points

The other side of the coil just needs 12+ ve -like Kevin R says -this is how a joy rider would get it going, (12v on the starter 12v on the coil and you are away)

Measure the resistance of the coil it should be 1.5 ohms or 3 ohms if not its shagged

1.5 ohm will need a ballast resistor of you guessed it 1.5 ohm! remember your ohms law from school! 6v will be dropped across the coil and 6 v across the ballast total =12v ! simple really

3 ohm coil wont need a ballast

the 12 v to the coil is turned on via the ignition switch in poisition 1 in position 2 it puts 12 v on the starter then springs back to position 1 just find the wire that has 12v or 6 v if its ballasted -you do have a multimeter dont you?

Right chaps - there's power to the coil, there's power out of the coil, the wire from the coil to the dizzy is OK with a continuity test, I can get a spark at the points by shorting them out with a screwdriver.

What i am not getting is a spark at the pointas as the engine is turned over :(

I am now off to the pub.

Battle will recommence tomorrow night or alternativley my friendly auto electrician will be called in

I am very pleased to announce that we have ignition! We even have a car that runs :)

How did this come about?

I have had a local auto-electrician round this evening - he's a fine fellow with an interest in classic cars.

Well, he sorted it - basically the points needed cleaning/adjusting (and I thought I had done that!) followed by towing the car which got it running.

It will start just fine now but I need to go through it tidying up little "bodges" that were done to try and get it running. Then a few confidence building miles will follow.

But - what a relief!

Oh, and it would be churlish of me not to thanks everyone for their help so -

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, not only has the advice been great but the support was even more important.

Thanks also to Rumpith, Toledoman and Burnerboy for their efforts in working alongside me.

I should also thank my neighbour Andrew for his help in lifting out the first engine and especially Steve Wilcox of S&S Preparations who not only gave me sound advice on what parts I needed etc, but also carried customer service beyond the call of duty by answering his mobile at 8 o'clock at night to give advice and encouragement.

Quoted from Raider I am very pleased to announce that we have ignition! We even have a car that runs :)

How did this come about?

I have had a local auto-electrician round this evening - he's a fine fellow with an interest in classic cars.

Well, he sorted it - basically the points needed cleaning/adjusting (and I thought I had done that!) followed by towing the car which got it running.

It will start just fine now but I need to go through it tidying up little "bodges" that were done to try and get it running. Then a few confidence building miles will follow.

But - what a relief!

isnt it great when the buggers fire up!

It was a couple of years ago.

BTW - regarding NE TR7s, maybe one or two of you would like to catch a glimpse of 100 Triumphs (including 5 TR7s) on the RBRR?

Any suitable layby or viewing point on the A68 between Corbridge and Jedburgh from 12PM midnight on Friday night/Staurday morning October 6th/7th would do.

I would enjoy seeing a few TR7s and their owners cheering us on :)

Archived