13/60 vitesse engine swap

Josh

Gearbox, diff, prop, halfshafts, rear brakes, tunnel cover, radiator and all engine ancillaries, engine valences, front springs.  Exhaust, manifolds, carburettors engine bay wiring.  Diff and halfshafts you may get away with if it's a 1600 you have.  Is it worth it?

Mark

Done it, more than once.
assuming it is a complete engine and all known good, including carbs/dizzy etc.....

You need gearbox/prop as different to herald. Diff change to at least a 3.89 or better 3.63, partially depending on whether you have an OD box and all the bits.
You can use the existing driveshafts and rear brakes. But you will need to sort the flanges to fit to the new diff. Rear spring etc is all ok, same as mk1 vitesse.
Exhaust sytem is different

You will need a vitesse radiator, or at least something better than the herald one, and that will fit. You chassis has teh rad mounts, right up at the front really close to the bonnet.
then there is the front brakes. You need to fit bigger vitesse sized front brakes. A few ways of doing this. And lastly vitesse front springs.

actually, reading Marks post, we are roughly in agreement.

Wow, didnt realise so much was different, I got the engine and carbs for £120 off ebay due to a terrible advert and description. picked it up last night and, although a little grubby its not in bad shape, so, worst comes to the worst i can sell it on after a clean up for a mean profit. As it doesn't look like a weekend project it sounds like it will be difficult as the herald is my daily car, maybe have it as an ongoing project to get all the parts together and wait till my 6 points have come off my license and i can really afford to insure it  :-/

1953 wrote:
I'm nearly at the end if my Vitesse into a Herald build, and do you know what? I wish I'd left it as a standard 13/60. The trouble, delays and expense it's caused is unreal, but I'm there now. Nearly...

How long has it taken you if you dont mind asking stu?

*zips into his asbestos suit*

I'd quite happily drive a Herald with standard but "uprated" (as in discs and pads, but not silly drilled ones etc) brakes with a Vitesse engine fitted. The extra weight is less than carrying a passenger. So unless you constantly carry four people in your car and have the boot full to its limit even Triumph say it'll be ok...

fair point. the 1600 vitesse shared brakes with the herald (but largr rears. My vitesse had proper brakes up front, herald at the rear. You could lock the rears up if you tried)
However, insurance co would prefer vitesse brakes.

It can be done by swapping the herald discs for vitesse ones, and then aftermarket calipers. Or (IIRC) use the vitesse disc reduced in overall diameter a bit, and ford typw 16 calipers. Or vitesse discs and princess 4 pots.

8514 wrote:

How long has it taken you if you dont mind asking stu?

This will be year 8. But that is because I took her completely apart & built her up again. Plus I've been doing it round a full time job that demands around 60 hours a week, and sometimes on a limited budget.

But I'm there now, so close!!!

Yes John, I'll love her more once I get a drive!!!

Good idea to have a terminally rusty Vitesse 2L to hand if you want to turn a Herald into a Vitesse.  More a case of "re-shelling" a Vitesse as so may parts are different.

Though I'm very fond of my Vitesse, I have to say that a Herald with well-tuned 1300 or 1500 is damn near as quick especially on twisty roads.  We had to work pretty hard to stay with a certain 13/60 estate in the Alps and my Vitesse has a bit more poke than standard.  I also take the view that even a modified 4 pot Herald benefits from bigger brakes.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Though I'm very fond of my Vitesse, I have to say that a Herald with well-tuned 1300 or 1500 is damn near as quick especially on twisty roads.  

I would argue the 4-pot is better on twisty roads. Whatever you do to make a Vitesse handle, two cylinders remain sticking out ahead of the front wheels.

Cheers,
Bill.

Point to point with a good driver a well sorted 4 pot car is quicker than an average Vitesse with an average driver.  Very heavy that engine, not just the weight but where it is on the car.  Some have moved the engine back an inch or two and reckon it improves it.....

M.