Stolen Vitesse engine

heraldhabitat

Please make contact with the PC directly if you are offered this engine ta.

Trevor.Gardiner@avonandsomerset.police.uk
Subject: Stolen Vitesse engine.
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 16:39:56 +0100
To: enquiries@club.triumph.org.uk
I don't know if you can help. I am a Police Constable with the Avon and Somerset Constabulary based at Radstock near Bath. I am investigating the theft of a 1967 Triumph Vitesse engine with a number of HC5087E.

Thank you in anticipation
P.C 1120 Trevor Gardiner
Radstock Police Stn.
Wells Rd
Radstock
Bath
BA3 3SG.
0845 456 7000.

There must be so much more behind that story!

A stolen engine - but no one steals 'an engine'!  In a car, maybe.   Surely even early Vitesse engines aren't worth the risk of robbery.  Fully rebuilt, from an known restorer, £2K? Unknown state, unknown supplier - £200 at the most?   A villain might break in and steal £200 in notes, for the easy money, but an engine?

There has to be more!   Inside job?  Unauthorised bailiff and debts? Revenge?

Do tell, PC Gardiner!

Jhn

JohnD wrote:
There must be so much more behind that story!

A stolen engine - but no one steals 'an engine'!  

Even just for the weight of metal for scrap it's worth something. Someone building a kit car or hot rod may also like it.
Try to work out why someone stole my old lawnmower, which had been worn out dumped at the side of the house for many years, and you'll understand the mentality.

It'll be for scrap- pikeys constantly prowl the streets round here looking for metal. They've had a load of drain covers, they took my littl'uns old bed frame from the front garden which saved me hauling it to the tip, but the cheeky sods left the matress.....and they even nicked a bbq from a neighbours garden, after tipping the coals out. At the moment Anything metal will vanish if it's in sight.

Agreed, that's probably scrap now.

They prowl round here as well, they come down our street at least once a week. They will take the smallest, rustiest metal.

I've a verbal agreement with them that anything under the hedge at the side of my drive can be taken as scrap.

While changing some brake discs, I broke the end off a wheel brace spider, it was worn anyway so I dumped it under the hedge with the other bits, they took all the discs/pads and some drop links but left the brace thinking it was still usuable, so some of them have a conscience.

The price of scrap has gone up, hence the emergence of a lot more scrap merchants driving around the streets. I swapped an engine in my car and was going to leave the old one on a trolly in the drive overnight, but then had second thoughts, because I believed there was a chance it may not have been there in the morning. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have thought twice.

Blue

bxbodger wrote:
Anything metal will vanish if it's in sight.

Too True! They come around here sometimes but since what happened to our Friend we keep metal stuff locked away.

What happened to our friend was: He is a stock car racer and has various spare parts lying round at anytime i.e. spare diffs, axles, hubs etc. There is also normally plenty of metal bits like angle iron or flat bar around too. Anyway he went on Holiday and came back to find it all gone. :(

Recently there have been a spate of grid and man hole cover thefts near by, Road Works signs going walkies and even the access covers from the bottom of street lamps. These people cause such inconvenience it's unreal.  :-/

And then pikeys complain that no-one likes them and forces them to leave their camps. Maybe because MOST of them or thievin' bastards. I used to leave my garage dor open, ol engines, gears, bell-houses etc. Would Never do that now.

Also I was fixing my Volvo last summer ina shed at Dads shop, and a scrappers van rolled up and asked what an Optics shop sells. I thought 'Like hell I'm telling you!', and fobbed 'em off with saying we sell bird seed and coats. On the way out they stopped next to a 1920's plough we have on display... I walked past very purposefully with a sledge-hammer.

Oddly enough, this happened not long after a new pikey camp opened about 9 miles down the road.

Back to the original post, I'm impressed that the local Police have gone to the trouble to find someone who has an interest in Triumphs and is an officer of a Triumph club, and ask them to put the word out.  I'm not sure the Police around here would go to those lengths for what is, let's be honest, low value stuff.

sparky_spit wrote:
I'm not sure the Police around here would go to those lengths for what is, let's be honest, low value stuff.

Yeah, I lost an 1850 3-rail (same internals as a GT6), a Stag overdrive gearbox, a rear axle for Steph's Dolomite (3.63)....

on the seafront near me theres a model village, and some scavvy nobs bunked the wall and stripped no more than 40 quids worth of lead off the model hospital roof. apparantly it will cost thousands to get it re-done.

also, 'low value' depends how you look at it. i scrimped and saved to get together 300 quid to get myself an OD box for my spit. if somebody robbed it off my drive it'd be the end of my OD plans, simple as that.

1953 wrote:

Too True! They come around here sometimes but since what happened to our Friend we keep metal stuff locked away.

What happened to our friend was: He is a stock car racer and has various spare parts lying round at anytime i.e. spare diffs, axles, hubs etc. There is also normally plenty of metal bits like angle iron or flat bar around too. Anyway he went on Holiday and came back to find it all gone. :(

Recently there have been a spate of grid and man hole cover thefts near by, Road Works signs going walkies and even the access covers from the bottom of street lamps. These people cause such inconvenience it's unreal.  :-/
True but whoever is buying this stuff like lamp covers, etc must know what they are and that they are nicked and if there was no out let for these council parts the pickeys would have to give up nicking them.

sparky_spit wrote:
Back to the original post, I'm impressed that the local Police have gone to the trouble to find someone who has an interest in Triumphs and is an officer of a Triumph club, and ask them to put the word out.  I'm not sure the Police around here would go to those lengths for what is, let's be honest, low value stuff.

You just can't do right for doing wrong, eh?

Archived