Inlet Manifold/Carb Flexible Mounting Rubber

Thomas4

Hi

the first thing I did when I got my TR7 3 months ago, I replaced the inlet manifold/carb flexible mounting rubber because of an air leak. Now already, after about 3000 km, they are leaking air again, the glued side of the rubber (engine side) came unstuck.
Is the repro part TKC1338 much worse than the OEM part? Is there something one can do that they last longer?

Thomas

I don't think the repro ones are as good as the OE ones :-/

There are available from someone solid alloy replacements but there's a problem with them too (which I can't remember).

I have been lucky and not had problems - I suggest you go back to your supplier.

Hi raider thanks I guess I will try to find an OEM one.

Hi Beans that rubber (see image) is there and it's in quite good shape. I understand that if it wasn't there there would be too much down torque on the carb flexible mounting. But the rubber has come loose all around, so I think it's just not a good glue that maybe can't take the heat.

Thomas

btw: when I got the car the carb flexible mountings where damaged differently, the rubber was ripped apart in the middle, but the glue hadn't come off.

Those mounting rubbers indeed look like they are "not so good" repros.
As they are only 3 months old, I'd follow Martin's (aka Raider) advice and contact the supplier,
see if he can sort it properly.

Concerning for the problems with alloy blocks,
it might be that they cause problems due to vibrations and heat being transferred directly to the carburator.
Haven't tried them myself so can't judge them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived